Mobile menu

Rate for translating sound files.
Thread poster: Jian Chen

Jian Chen
Local time: 09:03
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 30, 2003

I've been approached by several clients regarding to sound file translation. Is per target word or per minute the industry rate? If it is by word, is twice your normal translation rate fair? If it is by minute, is $5.00 per minute fair? Please help. Thank you very much.

Direct link Reply with quote

murat karahan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:03
English to Turkish
+ ...
It's just normal Jul 1, 2003

I wouldn't say fair though since you have to rewind, listen, translate, therefore it would take longer than doing text translation.
I'd charge per minute of audio material. But you should take into account the nature of the material; is it an instruction tape, are there many gaps or is someone speaking like a machine gun? Is it a clearly recorded? If the speaker is a fast talker I'd definitely charge per word.
But this price could be a little low in your language pair. Don't forget to charge double if the client asks for a transcription. You could also count the words in 1-2 minutes of the audio and see which is more to your benefit, per word or per minute.

xxxpkb

Local time: 14:03
French to English
Transcribe, then translate Jul 4, 2003

Jian (or are you Chen?),

I don't think anybody could do a proper job of translation directly from a tape.

You need an audio typist to transcribe the file first, and then you translate the text as usual.

My wife earns her living as a French audio typist and would charge 16 GBP (what's that - 26 USD?) per 1000 words for a French transcription. Your rates may differ !

I hope that's helpful.

Philip

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for translating sound files.

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs