Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2008

Moscow-based RU-EN translator and interpreter Michele Berdy's weekly column in The Moscow Times is a treat for many RU-EN translators; usually it is on the subject of the Russian language and culture. This week's is of more general interest to translators AND THEIR CLIENTS, even though there are a few Russian words thrown in for spice (you don't lose anything if you can't read Russian).
... See more
Moscow-based RU-EN translator and interpreter Michele Berdy's weekly column in The Moscow Times is a treat for many RU-EN translators; usually it is on the subject of the Russian language and culture. This week's is of more general interest to translators AND THEIR CLIENTS, even though there are a few Russian words thrown in for spice (you don't lose anything if you can't read Russian).

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/1016/42/372925.htm
Collapse

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:28
English to Russian
+ ...
L... Dec 5, 2008

Light and funny. Good job.

Verse 5B (X)
Verse 5B (X)
Local time: 11:28
English to Serbian
+ ...
... Dec 5, 2008

I like the # 7. lol

Definitely, goats are friends.

protolmach
protolmach  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you, Susan! Dec 5, 2008

Thanks for inviting everybody to enjoy and benefit from this article. Michele is a brilliant linguist and has a very good eye and ear which enables her to see emerging tendecies. ENRU translators and interpreters community has been lucky to have her amongst us.

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Informative and entertaining Dec 5, 2008

Thanks for the link to this article.
It's always comforting to know that other translators face the same tribulations
Samantha

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
links to goat farming ... Dec 5, 2008

Susan,

Thanks for sharing! About 3 weeks--no "kid"ding--I started researching goat farming!

http://www.roosterhillfarm.com/journal/archives/2006/09/20_truths_about.html

That sort of cooled my enthusiam, and now the kids that were being sold down the road are gone. Oh, well ... maybe next year!

Patricia

Chris Lovelace
Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Ha! Dec 6, 2008

Phenomenal article! I already forwarded that to all my friends. Thanks for sharing!

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Love it! Dec 6, 2008

Of course one can do both... Isn't Noni both a translator and a pig farmer?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Michele Berdy, "Driving Translators to the Goat Farm"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »