Thread poster: EBoscolo
EBoscolo
Australia
Local time: 00:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 9, 2008

Dear all,
I have a doubt of translation theory and maybe you can help me When translting a document do you also transalte the line of the copyright? I thought it was good practice to leave the copyright in the original language, especially if it is a name of a Government body which has been previously translated in the text. I would think the copyright is like a trademark and is not translated. What do you think? Any suggestion is welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:08
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
translate everything but the Names Dec 9, 2008

Names are sometimes transliterated and supplied in parentheses in the original form.

The general rule is:

© 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
© Корпорация Майкрософт (Microsoft Corp.), 2007. Все права защищены.

xxxVerse 5B
Local time: 14:08
English to Serbian
+ ...
... Dec 9, 2008

I agree with what Sergei said.

[Edited at 2008-12-09 09:41 GMT]

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Talk to your client Dec 9, 2008

elisa boscolo wrote:

Dear all,
I have a doubt of translation theory and maybe you can help me When translting a document do you also transalte the line of the copyright? I thought it was good practice to leave the copyright in the original language, especially if it is a name of a Government body which has been previously translated in the text. I would think the copyright is like a trademark and is not translated. What do you think? Any suggestion is welcome.

Two issues:
a. Copyright law differs from one country to another. There are some differences between "copyright" in US law and "derechos del autor" in Bolivian law, for example. To translate "derechos del autor" as "copyright" on this line would suggest that the US requirements had been met if your client is an American.
b. The government body's name should be in the original somewhere in the text, perhaps in parentheses. I would recommend following Mr. Leshchinsky's convention in the absence of other guidance.

Your client, rather than you, should be dealing with the legal issues involved in this matter. I recommend bringing it to his/her/its attention and following whatever guidance he/she/it provides.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

copyright_translate or not?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs