Mobile menu

Back translation vs. double translation: are they the same?
Thread poster: mlconnections

mlconnections
United States
Local time: 09:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 14, 2008

Hello:

I'm interested in the difference between "back translation" and "double translation". I see some references that equate them (translate source to target and then back to source) and others that differentiate them (two independent translators translate from source to target and a third works to reconcile the versions). Any thoughts and/or academic references would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:21
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Reconcile the versions Dec 15, 2008

>and others that differentiate them (two independent translators translate from source to target and a third works to reconcile the versions). <

I agree with this idea: 'double translation' is two-fold translation of one source document. To obtain the finalized version, you need the third translator/editor to reconcile the target documents.
Back translation is also read as reverse translation. Its main puroose is to recheck correctness of the translation. However, cultural aspects make the back translation output awesome.
In a recent jobs, I needed to write tons of comments why the back translations were much different from the source documents: originated from synonyms of source words etc.
Jokingly, I will hear the word 'triple translation,' 'quadraple translation' etc. ......

Soonthon L.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back translation vs. double translation: are they the same?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs