Back translation vs. double translation: are they the same?
Thread poster: mlconnections

mlconnections
United States
Local time: 09:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 14, 2008

Hello:

I'm interested in the difference between "back translation" and "double translation". I see some references that equate them (translate source to target and then back to source) and others that differentiate them (two independent translators translate from source to target and a third works to reconcile the versions). Any thoughts and/or academic references would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:58
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Reconcile the versions Dec 15, 2008

>and others that differentiate them (two independent translators translate from source to target and a third works to reconcile the versions). <

I agree with this idea: 'double translation' is two-fold translation of one source document. To obtain the finalized version, you need the third translator/editor to reconcile the target documents.
Back translation is also read as reverse translation. Its main puroose is to recheck correctness of the translation. However, cultural aspects make the back translation output awesome.
In a recent jobs, I needed to write tons of comments why the back translations were much different from the source documents: originated from synonyms of source words etc.
Jokingly, I will hear the word 'triple translation,' 'quadraple translation' etc. ......

Soonthon L.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back translation vs. double translation: are they the same?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs