Mobile menu

Back translation vs. double translation: are they the same?
Thread poster: mlconnections

mlconnections
United States
Local time: 15:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 14, 2008

Hello:

I'm interested in the difference between "back translation" and "double translation". I see some references that equate them (translate source to target and then back to source) and others that differentiate them (two independent translators translate from source to target and a third works to reconcile the versions). Any thoughts and/or academic references would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:26
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Reconcile the versions Dec 15, 2008

>and others that differentiate them (two independent translators translate from source to target and a third works to reconcile the versions). <

I agree with this idea: 'double translation' is two-fold translation of one source document. To obtain the finalized version, you need the third translator/editor to reconcile the target documents.
Back translation is also read as reverse translation. Its main puroose is to recheck correctness of the translation. However, cultural aspects make the back translation output awesome.
In a recent jobs, I needed to write tons of comments why the back translations were much different from the source documents: originated from synonyms of source words etc.
Jokingly, I will hear the word 'triple translation,' 'quadraple translation' etc. ......

Soonthon L.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back translation vs. double translation: are they the same?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs