Trados, can you merge different memories into one?
Thread poster: Rufino Pérez De La Sierra

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 17, 2003

Thanks in advance for your help!

Is it possible to merge two or more TM (translation memories) into a bigger one?

I usually have one TM for each particular project or client, but I would like a bigger, more generalized one, but do not know how to go about it.

Have a nice day!

Rufino

Direct link Reply with quote

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Merging TMs Jul 17, 2003

Yes, you can do that. In order to merge memories, first you have to export them. Let´s suppose you have 5 different memories. Open Workbench, select your TM1, go to File, Export. The software exports TM1 as a .txt file, by default. Do the same with TM2, TM3,TM4 and TM5. Make sure all the memories you´re going to merge are English into Spanish or Spanish into English, don´t mix them. Start a New memory , name it General Memory, if you wish, select the languages you work with, the same appearing in your exported TMs. With WB open, go to File, Import and import each TM ( the ones saved in .txt files), a window will appear and you´ll check: With large reorganization, Merge and Add to setup. A New General memory has been created.
Should yo have any doubts, please contact me. Good luck!!
Haydée

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! You are great! :) Jul 17, 2003

two2tango wrote:

Yes, you can do that. In order to merge memories, first you have to export them. Let´s suppose you have 5 different memories. Open Workbench, select your TM1, go to File, Export. The software exports TM1 as a .txt file, by default. Do the same with TM2, TM3,TM4 and TM5. Make sure all the memories you´re going to merge are English into Spanish or Spanish into English, don´t mix them. Start a New memory , name it General Memory, if you wish, select the languages you work with, the same appearing in your exported TMs. With WB open, go to File, Import and import each TM ( the ones saved in .txt files), a window will appear and you´ll check: With large reorganization, Merge and Add to setup. A New General memory has been created.
Should yo have any doubts, please contact me. Good luck!!
Haydée

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 20:53
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You can also change your language direction around with an export. Jul 18, 2003

Let's say, in my case I have a DE-EN memory, and for some unknown reason I suddenly want to translate EN-DE and need a memory in that direction.

You export your memory, and then when you're importing it again you just switch the language direction.

Voila, you've got a memory in the other direction!

HTH somebody somewhere

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados, can you merge different memories into one?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs