Thread poster: Przemyslaw Podmostko

Przemyslaw Podmostko  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2009

Hi all!

Just a quick question from a rookie translator: who should pay for proofreading? Is it the translator or his/her client?

Thanks!
Przemek

Direct link Reply with quote

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:47
The client should pay for proofreading Feb 18, 2009

And if the client wants you to arrange the proofreading, you just add the proofreading costs to your price. When you buy a car, you don't let the dealer pay for the engine, do you?

Jørgen

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
agency vs direct client Feb 18, 2009

The final client shoud get a proofread translation.

If you (the translator) are working directly with the client (that is not through a angency), then you should arrange for the proofreading with a fellow translator/proofreader. Of course your rate with the client reflects both your translation and the proofreading job you have to pay.

If you are dealing with an agency, it's normally up to the agency to arrange for the proofreading, which they will do if they are a "serious" agency.

If you are not sure, it'salways better to clarify the matter before accepting the job.

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
It's your business. Feb 18, 2009

Przemyslaw Podmostko wrote:
who should pay for proofreading? Is it the translator or his/her client?

You're running your own business; it's for you to decide. At the bottom line, it doesn't matter much.

Look at it from this perspective:

Let's assume a client that wants to buy a high-quality, proofread translation. They are willing to spend USD x for it overall. This total will have to cover the proofreader's fees. These fees will have to be payed at some point. If the client retains the proof reader, they will pay for proofreading, and there will be less money left for you. If you see to it that your work is proofread before it leaves your office, you may be able to charge higher fees, but then you will be responsible for paying the proofreader.

You might find clients, of course, that don't require proofreading, e.g. in order to save money. These will more likely be direct, non-corporate clients. Nowadays, a lot of agencies and companies do require all translations to be proofread. When an agency retains a professional to proofread your work, guess from whose fees they will deduct their costs.

P.

[Edited at 2009-02-18 08:42 GMT]

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I don't understand this discussion Feb 18, 2009

I don't know, but I do not understand this discussion.
For me it is obvious, that:

I do get a job to translate a document
I translate it
I proofread it and/or give it to my proofreader
My customer, be it agency or direct client gets a document that I consider completed. I never rely on the agency to add a proofreader step. The translation and the result I deliver is my responsibility.

I would never deliver a translation without a proofread. Therefore this proofread is included in my price.

What the customer does after receiving my translation - sending it to a proofreader or not, is not my business.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A second pair of eyes Feb 18, 2009

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:
For me it is obvious, that...

I never rely on the agency to add a proofreader step. The translation and the result I deliver is my responsibility.

Absolutely, but I think the issue here is a second pair of eyes that are required by quality assurance procedures of certain clients and/or the companies they work for.

Juliana Cullafiq
Albania
English to Albanian
+ ...
Exactly... Feb 18, 2009

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

For me it is obvious, that:

I do get a job to translate a document
I translate it
I proofread it and/or give it to my proofreader
My customer, be it agency or direct client gets a document that I consider completed. I never rely on the agency to add a proofreader step. The translation and the result I deliver is my responsibility.

I would never deliver a translation without a proofread. Therefore this proofread is included in my price.

What the customer does after receiving my translation - sending it to a proofreader or not, is not my business.

I have never sent a translated document without proofreading it first. Of course proofreading is done by another linguist (my husband).

Juliana

David Young  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
Who should pay? Feb 18, 2009

Agree totally with Siegfried and Juliana - proofreading is included in my price. Fortunately I too have a very efficient in-house proofreader. That doesn't mean that errors don't creep through sometimes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who should pay for proofreading?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs