Thread poster: Natalia Millman
Natalia Millman
Natalia Millman
Local time: 02:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 23, 2003

Hi,

I was thinking these days about why not to start my own translation agency. The idea must be brilliant but it is still an idea and therefore something unrealised.

I have just finished the MSc course in Translation at Imperial College. They tought us everything except the practical matters.

I would like your thoughts and ideas on how to start up a translation business. I am aware that one has to create a website, business cards, promotion and marketing
... See more
Hi,

I was thinking these days about why not to start my own translation agency. The idea must be brilliant but it is still an idea and therefore something unrealised.

I have just finished the MSc course in Translation at Imperial College. They tought us everything except the practical matters.

I would like your thoughts and ideas on how to start up a translation business. I am aware that one has to create a website, business cards, promotion and marketing campaigns but how to actually become a certified transaltor.

I know that translation agencies and some professional translators hold a seal that they stemp on a translated paper. This certifies legally that translation was done according to professional code of conduct and all rules.

Where can you actually get this seal and how to qualify to get it?

Thank you so much.

Natalia
Collapse

lydiar
lydiar  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 13:17
French to English
certified Sep 1, 2003

I have posted on this very topic "Translation certification in the UK?" Noone seems to have fancied the challenge of replying with their experience in the UK, I found a couple of sites (which I posted up) which help a bit.

By the way, I am starting the MSc in Oct - did you enjoy it? Any tips to get the most out of it?

Lyds

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to start up a translation business?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »