Mobile menu

How can I unprotect the customer's Excel file? (SOS!)
Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2003

I have just discovered to my horror that I cannot use the customer's original Excel file for my translation because it is password protected. Is there any way I can make a copy in which I can paste my translation? My CAT-tool is not able to overcome this problem. It's going to be a long night...

[Edited at 2003-07-24 23:31]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 17:03
German to Romanian
+ ...
I don't think you can Jul 24, 2003

Passwords are set so that access is limited. Since this is their role, I don't think there's any way to open the file (unless you are a hacker).
Check your email, maybe they gave you the password.

And I wouldn't worry, if I were you. It's not your fault they send you a password-protected file and don't send you the password for it.

[Edited at 2003-07-24 23:30]

pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
See Your Email Jul 25, 2003

I've emailed you a good site that will help you. Please note that I haven't verified that the software works correctly and doesn't do other nasty stuff. It would be best to install this in a "sandbox"--perhaps even a junk computer--and definitely keep baclkups every step of the way...

-p

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ask for the password Jul 25, 2003

You should ask for the password from your client - it is also their vested interest that you can translate their data. Explain to them that otherwise you are not able to do your job, and it is their interest and obligation to make available all the source files.
If the source file is not available or accessible, you cannot perform your duties.

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:03
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, Anne Jul 25, 2003

Try copying/pasting the file but make sure you rename it.
If it doesn't work, asking the client for the password would be the most advisable option, especially if you are not familiar with "crackers".

Csaba Ban wrote:

You should ask for the password from your client - it is also their vested interest that you can translate their data. Explain to them that otherwise you are not able to do your job, and it is their interest and obligation to make available all the source files.
If the source file is not available or accessible, you cannot perform your duties.

Good luck!
Andrea

bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Yes,you can Jul 25, 2003

Maybe this link can be helpful
http://www.intertek.org.uk/downloads/index.html

kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
save under ... Jul 25, 2003

dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
wordfast - plus tools Jul 25, 2003

there is a little program in plus tools
(for free) that could (?) help you with
your problem with the protected file.

You can download it and try.

Regards

dieter

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:03
English to French
Ask the agency Jul 25, 2003

Csaba Ban wrote:

Csaba is quite right. It is the responsibility of the agency to provide adequate source files and infos. If they can't give you a password, ask a premium to compensate for the time wasted.

Cheers,
Sylvain

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: Problem solved with password - thank you. Jul 25, 2003

Hello everyone,

The agency has apologised for sending me a password protected file. The customer gave me the password and the file is now translated. It's a lesson for anyone wondering why their CAT-tool seems to be unable to rebuild the Excel file. If it is password protected, you cannot overwrite the format with a translation. Thanks for all the personal messages & advice I received. This forum really is the ultimate translator's friend!

George Fabian
Polish to English
Star Office Jul 25, 2003

I've run into similar problems with Excel files from a client of mine not associated with translating. Instead of asking for the password, I've opened the document in the StarOffice spreadsheet. After opening it in StarOffice, save it under a different name as an Excel file. 9 times out of 10 it works. I know you solved your problem, but maybe someone else will be able to benefit from this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I unprotect the customer's Excel file? (SOS!)

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs