Thread poster: SpanTran
SpanTran
SpanTran
Local time: 06:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2009

Hi,

I'm translating the transcription of an interview with a surgeon from Spanish into English. I don't have the recording, just the Spanish transcription, in which the interviewer asks the surgeon questions, and the surgeon replies. I can't decide whether I should use contracted forms or not (I'm, they're, how's, etc.). On the one hand this is an interview and so I am tempted to use contracted forms to render the idea of "speech", on the other hand it was presented to me as a text
... See more
Hi,

I'm translating the transcription of an interview with a surgeon from Spanish into English. I don't have the recording, just the Spanish transcription, in which the interviewer asks the surgeon questions, and the surgeon replies. I can't decide whether I should use contracted forms or not (I'm, they're, how's, etc.). On the one hand this is an interview and so I am tempted to use contracted forms to render the idea of "speech", on the other hand it was presented to me as a text to translate, so I am tempted to write everything out in full. What would you other English translators do in this situation? Thanks, H.
Collapse

Peter Manda (X)
Peter Manda (X)
Local time: 00:16
German to English
+ ...
translating transcripts Mar 8, 2009

It seems you may want to check with the client or the PM to make sure you know what the translation will be used for. The context will likely determine the choice. No use guessing.

Franziska Zezulka
Franziska Zezulka
Local time: 06:16
Arabic to German
+ ...
translation of transcripts Mar 13, 2009

Hi,
when there are contracted forms in the original text (I don't speak Spanish, so I don't know how it works there) - and in most spoken language that's the case - then why not use them in the translation? Otherwise the translation won't sound like spoken language anymore, but rather like an edited version.
@ Peter Manda:
I agree with you! Though I would think adapting the translation to a certain purpose via changing its style (like in keeping out all "spoken elements") would
... See more
Hi,
when there are contracted forms in the original text (I don't speak Spanish, so I don't know how it works there) - and in most spoken language that's the case - then why not use them in the translation? Otherwise the translation won't sound like spoken language anymore, but rather like an edited version.
@ Peter Manda:
I agree with you! Though I would think adapting the translation to a certain purpose via changing its style (like in keeping out all "spoken elements") would rather be editing. So, if this is "just" a translation, why not keep the "speech style"?
Collapse

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translator is sometimes a player May 3, 2009

Your situation reminds me of the case I had several months ago, translating a leaving permit issued by a hospital in Netherlands from Dutch into Chinese.

As per the request from the client, all the contents had to be treated in a tone of the brain surgeon. Without other available references, that's a real question. The fact was that it's a time-consuming job, and I had to figure out some of the background of the car accident the client suffered.

At last, I did it simp
... See more
Your situation reminds me of the case I had several months ago, translating a leaving permit issued by a hospital in Netherlands from Dutch into Chinese.

As per the request from the client, all the contents had to be treated in a tone of the brain surgeon. Without other available references, that's a real question. The fact was that it's a time-consuming job, and I had to figure out some of the background of the car accident the client suffered.

At last, I did it simply by playing the role of both the client and the doctor. When the the client read the text in Chinese, she even thought I had been there on the scene witnessing the whole process from the happening of the car accident through her physical check followed by staying in the hospital for three days before taking the permit by the surgeon.

I'm wondering if this could be of any help in dealing with your case.:)
Collapse

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translator sometimes has to act as a player May 3, 2009

At last, I did it simp
... See more

At last, I did it simply by playing the role of both the client and the doctor. When the the client read the text in Chinese, she even thought I had been there on the scene witnessing the whole process from the happening of the car accident through her physical check followed by staying in the hospital for three days before taking the permit by the surgeon.

I'm wondering if this could be of any help in dealing with your case.:)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contracted forms in translation of transcription

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »