Mobile menu

Translation analysis
Thread poster: Katarzyna480
Local time: 19:35
Apr 15, 2009

I have a question about the criteria of translation analysis. Did anyone of you had to do such a task before and could help with the methodology to adopt?
Thanks if you can help

Direct link Reply with quote
Emma Hradecka  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Newmark, Toury, Nord Apr 16, 2009

Hi, you can find models of translation analyses e.g. in the following books:

Peter Newmark - A textbook of translation (the most practical one, I would say)
Gideon Toury - Descriptive translation studies and beyond
Christianne Nord - Translating as a purposeful activity

There are more, of course, but these are the ones that immediately come to my mind.

Good luck with your work.

Igor Galiouk
Local time: 20:35
English to Russian
Xbench Apr 16, 2009

As the first step, try using Xbench program (you can download it from here Probably, it’s not the best one, but it's simple, easy-to-use and FREE.

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:35
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Please define the question more Apr 16, 2009

By "translation criteria," are you referring to assessing difficulty, time, potential problems, repetitions, or quality issues, like mistakes or acceptable quality?

For the former, trados analysis provides some information, while for the latter there are many formulas. Search previous forums for more details.

chica nueva
Local time: 06:35
Chinese to English
Some ideas Apr 16, 2009

Hello Katarzyna

1 As far as I know, there are various theoretical criteria sometimes used for translation, like 'faithfulness' and 'skopos' (Nord) and 'fidelity, clarity and elegance' (Yan Fu). [basically, meaning, form and function]
2 Otherwise you could rate the translation according to 'plainness of language', 'how native-like or foreign it is', 'technical accuracy', or some other criteria, I guess.

[Edited at 2009-04-16 10:33 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ask your professor Apr 16, 2009

Katarzyna480 wrote:
I have a question about the criteria of translation analysis. Did anyone of you had to do such a task before and could help with the methodology to adopt?

There are many ways to analyse translations, and this would depend on the purpose of it. You would need to ask your professor what he wants you to achieve in the analysis. I assume this analysis might include an assessment of the translation's usefulness for its indended purpose (although academics often analyse translations without taking target audience or the purpose into account, so ask).

Off the cuff I'd say a good methodology would start by defining what it is you're trying to achieve. Decide if your analysis will be a critical analysis (i.e. without making judgments about what you find) or a functional one (i.e. evaluating what you find against some kind of standard). If critical, evaluate the text to determine what types of interesting titbits you are likely to find in it. If functional, decide what the purpose of the text is, determine what the translation should contain to fulfil that purpose.

So, first ask your professor what it is that he wants you do achieve.

Tranalation analysis Apr 17, 2009

This is a translation analysis (critique) of business letters.. Emma have you got an electronic versions of this books because I don't have accessibility to them

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation analysis

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs