Trademark Translation - is it regulated in EU?
Thread poster: Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 05:19
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 17, 2003

One of my business partners is researching a translation legal issue about Trademarks.
Specifically, I have heard, but not yet substantiated, that the EU and Russia have a law or laws relating to the mandatory localization of trademarked terms. As one example, Microsoft has trademarked the term
PowerPoint.
Is it required by law that this term be localized for the EU?

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:19
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (Trade Marks and Designs) Sep 17, 2003

I cannot answer the question directly, but perhaps you\'d like to have a look at the website of the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (Trade Marks and Designs)Maybe you\'ll find an answer: http://oami.eu.int/en/office/default.htm

HTH

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 05:19
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 18, 2003

Dear Daphne,
Thank you - I will look into that marvellous resource.

Daphne Theodoraki wrote:

I cannot answer the question directly, but perhaps you'd like to have a look at the website of the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (Trade Marks and Designs)Maybe you'll find an answer: http://oami.eu.int/en/office/default.htm

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trademark Translation - is it regulated in EU?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »