Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now?
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:43
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 20, 2009

Please, take the poll at http://www.doodle.com/c7gr9nurhxipiurq

Even you can use more as one CAT tool, only one can be checked.
Please, add yourself your real name to the poll. Many thanks for your collaboration.

[Editado a las 2009-09-20 15:56 GMT]

Paulo Eduardo -  Pro Knowledge
Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:43
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
WordFast. Sep 20, 2009

Wordfast. Simple and effective. I've tried them all.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:43
Spanish to English
Wordfast Classic Sep 20, 2009

I honestly haven't tried them all but after Trados I found wordfast so easy and intuitive.

As it suits my needs I haven't bothered to check any of the others out.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:43
Swedish to English
+ ...
MemoQ Sep 20, 2009

Just bought it in a TGB because I was so impressed with the trial. Even though that meant having to add a Windows partition on my Mac.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish Sep 20, 2009

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Just bought it in a TGB because I was so impressed with the trial. Even though that meant having to add a Windows partition on my Mac.

I've been using Swordfish since it's beginnings in April 2008, and even before that, during the beta-testing period. It's multi-platform, because it requires Java to run, and since 2008 a computer with Linux is my main workhorse.

Memoq is good too, and I use the free version for conveying the Trados segmented text in the form of a XLIFF file to Swordfish. I can then reuse the TMX from Swordfish in the final pass in Workbench+Word.

Regards,

Piotr

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MemoQ Sep 20, 2009

I have evaluated it extensively (I think extensively enough) working standalone and loved it. Now I'm looking for a less busy day to install the server version and try it all within the team with a team workflow, but initially the prospects are very good ones also in that setup.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Sorry I cannot vote... Sep 20, 2009

but neither Swordfish, nor Heartsome are listed in the poll. So much for now.

[Edited at 2009-09-20 19:30 GMT]

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:43
Italian to English
+ ...
Another vote for Heartsome Sep 20, 2009

I have Trados (2007), but don't use it unless explicitly asked to.

My tool of choice is Heartsome Studio.

R.
==

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What about Alchemy Publisher? Sep 20, 2009

Just out of curiosity does anyone of you use it - if so what is your impression?

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Missed that there was a separate poll as well Sep 20, 2009

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Please, take the poll at http://www.doodle.com/c7gr9nurhxipiurq

But have registered my "vote" now.

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tools that does not appear at the poll... Sep 20, 2009

I aknowledge that only the more used translation memory tools are listed at the poll. This is because such a poll will be quite extensive as they exist a big number of translation memory tools today.

But, if you are all really interested, I will repeat the poll or modify this one in two weeks with all the TM-tools you will add to the answer of this post. Please, bear in mind that I do not consider localization tools as translation memories. That is, following tools will no be tak
... See more
I aknowledge that only the more used translation memory tools are listed at the poll. This is because such a poll will be quite extensive as they exist a big number of translation memory tools today.

But, if you are all really interested, I will repeat the poll or modify this one in two weeks with all the TM-tools you will add to the answer of this post. Please, bear in mind that I do not consider localization tools as translation memories. That is, following tools will no be taken in account until next poll about "localisation tools"

AIT Visual Localize.net 5.3.4
Alchemy Catalyst Developer Edition 7.03
Aquino WebBudget 3 XT
ATIA Language Studio
Avral Tramigo
GrindinSoft CHM Editor 1.3.3.4
Lingobit Localizer Enterprise 5.5.4752
Microsoft Helium
Microsoft Localization Studio 4.6
Multilizer Enterprise Edition 7.1.9.809
Radialix 2
Schaudin RC-WinTrans Global 8.8.0.1
SDL Insight Professional 2003
SDL Passolo 2009 Team Edition 7.0.06
Sisulizer 2008 (build 281)
Stormdance CatsCradle 3.7
TM Systems TranStation 3.1.539

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tools you would like I add to the poll:

Swordfish
Heartsome Studio
MemoQ

[Editado a las 2009-09-20 21:38 GMT]
Collapse

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I can't vote either... / I've voted now! Sep 20, 2009

I use SDLX 2007 - haven't switched to Studio yet (although I've bought it) and can't stand the Trados interface.

Mirella

Thanks for adding the option, Pablo!

Mirella

[Edited at 2009-09-20 22:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-09-20 22:10 GMT]

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:43
Japanese to English
+ ...
Metatexis Sep 21, 2009

Why no Metatexis? This is the CAT tool I use and I love it. I vastly prefer it to Wordfast, even if the two share many similarities. Also, very reasonable pricing and an extra long evaluation period are really helpful too.

Boy, I do sound like a shill, don't I?

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now? Sep 21, 2009

Krzysztof Łesyk wrote:

Why no Metatexis? This is the CAT tool I use and I love it. I vastly prefer it to Wordfast, even if the two share many similarities. Also, very reasonable pricing and an extra long evaluation period are really helpful too.

Boy, I do sound like a shill, don't I?

Yes, you do...
But now, vote!

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm not voting Sep 21, 2009

I've used Metatexis, Wordfast, Alchemy Catalyst, Transit Nxt, Trados, SDLX, OmegaT and Across. All of them have excellent features.
But I've never used DejaVu, Swordfish, Felix CAT, Heartsome, nor other CAT tools with very happy users and very well positioned. Could I possibly have all those CAT tools installed in my PC? I've notice that DV users are extremelly satisfied with their tool, the same as Swordfish users, or OmegaT... But, do they use another CAT tool in order to be able to c
... See more
I've used Metatexis, Wordfast, Alchemy Catalyst, Transit Nxt, Trados, SDLX, OmegaT and Across. All of them have excellent features.
But I've never used DejaVu, Swordfish, Felix CAT, Heartsome, nor other CAT tools with very happy users and very well positioned. Could I possibly have all those CAT tools installed in my PC? I've notice that DV users are extremelly satisfied with their tool, the same as Swordfish users, or OmegaT... But, do they use another CAT tool in order to be able to compare them? If I've never used Swordfish, why should I exclude it? If I only translate MS Office files, a great tool as Metatexis is enough. Why should I buy a very expensive tool?

I do have my favourite one, CAT TOOL NAME, but... as I have never used the tools I said before, I prefer to abstain.

I really liked your posting!

Clarisa

[Edited at 2009-09-21 02:58 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »