How do I convert PDF files into RTF/DOC?
Thread poster: Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 30, 2003

Dear colleagues:
I apologize in advance if this issue has been raised in the past.
Is there a way to convert a pdf file into preferably a word file, without affecting the file's formatting?
Thanks in advance for all your replies.

souzanel
souzanel
Local time: 23:54
English to Portuguese
PDF => DOC Sep 30, 2003

Is there a way to convert a pdf file into preferably a word file, without affecting the file's formatting?

Yes, use ScanSoft Omnipage Pro 11.0

Hugo Melo

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:54
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
This topic Sep 30, 2003

has been discussed so many times, that you really could check earlier postings.
We cannot discusse all the time on such a simple question, like pdf convertion.

Regards
Andrzej

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Brenda, you can have a look at : Sep 30, 2003

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=89189

[Edited at 2003-09-30 16:26]

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Full Acrobat, Gemini etc Sep 30, 2003

Dear Brenda,

I have used Gemini 2,0 (search Google) but since I started using Acrobat 4 and 5 I anly use Acrobat, which gives a better result.
Acrobat also have other valuable tools, so I recommend that rather than Gemini.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Überset
... See more
Dear Brenda,

I have used Gemini 2,0 (search Google) but since I started using Acrobat 4 and 5 I anly use Acrobat, which gives a better result.
Acrobat also have other valuable tools, so I recommend that rather than Gemini.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/Pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator (deu>swe))
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
Collapse

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
OCR Sep 30, 2003

Adobe Reader, the latest reincarnation of the Adobe Acrobat reader, can convert unprotected text in PDF files into plain text, and copy it into the clipboard, or into a plain text file.

If you really want to extract formatted text from PDF files, you should either use Adobe Acrobat full edition, or one of the latest OCR packages, such as Omnipage or ABBYY Finereader.

Make a search for these terms in the search box at the lower left portion of the ProZ page, or got to th
... See more
Adobe Reader, the latest reincarnation of the Adobe Acrobat reader, can convert unprotected text in PDF files into plain text, and copy it into the clipboard, or into a plain text file.

If you really want to extract formatted text from PDF files, you should either use Adobe Acrobat full edition, or one of the latest OCR packages, such as Omnipage or ABBYY Finereader.

Make a search for these terms in the search box at the lower left portion of the ProZ page, or got to the corresponding pages in the web (you can ask Mr. Google for help).
Collapse

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your replies to my inquiry Sep 30, 2003

Dear colleagues:
Thanks for all your patience and promptness to an issue that might have been discussed numerous times in the past. However, when someone is in a hurry to get an answer, sorting through 5 or 6 pages of topics are not exactly a very feasible solution.
Thanks again for all your help.

Joop Fraikin (X)
Joop Fraikin (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Do you think Is Omnipage is better than Gemini? Sep 30, 2003

I use Gemini every now and then. When I choose "retain lay out" the result is a Word file laid out more or less like the pdf file, but the text does not flow normally because every single paragraph is put in a box. Does Omnipage do that too?

souzanel wrote:

Yes, use ScanSoft Omnipage Pro 11.0

Hugo Melo

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
PDF to Word Converter and Solo Sep 30, 2003

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation) wrote:

Dear colleagues:

PDF to Word Converter - $49.00
ScanSoft PDF Converter instantly converts PDF files into Microsoft Word documents that look just like the original - complete with all formatting and graphics! Information is set free - free to be edited and free to be integrated into your documents. Your organization will reach new levels of productivity by leveraging the power of Microsoft Word to edit and collaborate with PDF files. Best of all, because it is a plug-in, PDF Converter gives you superior speed and ease of use from within your favorite applications - Word, Outlook, Windows Explorer, and Internet Explorer.

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=85225&SID=61&SP=10007&PN=5&PID=599426&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=85225

Gemini Solo with International Pack can convert Chinese PDF text into Microsoft Word file accurately: $159.00

http://www.pdfstore.com/details.asp?ProdID=558

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
SS PDF converter Sep 30, 2003

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:
PDF to Word Converter - $49.00
ScanSoft PDF Converter instantly converts PDF files into Microsoft Word documents that look just like the original - complete with all formatting and graphics! Information is set free - free to be edited and free to be integrated into your documents. Your organization will reach new levels of productivity by leveraging the power of Microsoft Word to edit and collaborate with PDF files. Best of all, because it is a plug-in, PDF Converter gives you superior speed and ease of use from within your favorite applications - Word, Outlook, Windows Explorer, and Internet Explorer.

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=85225&SID=61&SP=10007&PN=5&PID=599426&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=85225

Hi Libin,
Do you know if ScanSoft PFD converter also converts graphic .pdf files? I'll explain: my client (a bit old-fashioned and not practical at all) scans the pages (that might have been written with any word processor or even with a typewriter!) and saves them as .pdf. So I don't have any editable text, not even with Acrobat (full version). So I use Omnipage to recognise it and get it into word. As it's not a new version, I have to convert the pdf into png, bmp or jpeg first, so I'd like to avoid this step.
Hope I was clear!!
Grace.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
This topic Oct 1, 2003

Andrzej Lejman wrote:
has been discussed so many times, that you really could check earlier postings.
Andrzej

Agreed. Perhaps someone could document it, for example in a HowTo.

Marc

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Graciela , ScanSoft PFD converter also converts graphic Oct 1, 2003

Their demos look good. You may have a check at: http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/demo/

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Hi Libin,
Do you know if ScanSoft PFD converter also converts graphic .pdf files? I'll explain: my client (a bit old-fashioned and not practical at all) scans the pages (that might have been written with any word processor or even with a typewriter!) and saves them as .pdf. So I don't have any editable text, not even with Acrobat (full version). So I use Omnipage to recognise it and get it into word. As it's not a new version, I have to convert the pdf into png, bmp or jpeg first, so I'd like to avoid this step.
Hope I was clear!!
Grace.

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
not sure Oct 1, 2003

Thanks Chance,

Yes, I was looking at the demos and they looked good, but then I realised that the pdf's are proper pdf's and not graphic.
I mean you can edit the text in them so the pdf converter converts the editable pdf text into word text and the graphics into graphics.
BUT, my files are saved as pdf's but they behave as bmp (text is not editable at all, as if it was handwritten).
The truth is that I don't think I can do it any other way than processing it wit
... See more
Thanks Chance,

Yes, I was looking at the demos and they looked good, but then I realised that the pdf's are proper pdf's and not graphic.
I mean you can edit the text in them so the pdf converter converts the editable pdf text into word text and the graphics into graphics.
BUT, my files are saved as pdf's but they behave as bmp (text is not editable at all, as if it was handwritten).
The truth is that I don't think I can do it any other way than processing it with a good OCR program.
Anyway, to make it short, I just upgraded to ScanSoft OmniPage Pro 12 that can handle more files formats than my SE version and it's got IntelliTrans to improve recognition.
Hope it saves me a bit more time!!

Grace.
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
BTW...for Omnipage 12 Oct 1, 2003

I found this link with a discount voucher

Save $50 on OmniPage Pro 12 and Receive a Free Gift.

http://www.corel.com/enewsletter/september2k2.htm

Click Ctrl+F and search for Omni to find the offer.

Syed Nasim uz Zaman
Syed Nasim uz Zaman  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:24
English to Assamese
+ ...
PDF file to Word file Oct 8, 2003

Please install AcrobatPDFWriter printer driver in your computer.You will be able to copy and paste the content to a Word file then.Rest is now easy just save it as per your requirement,either as a Word file or as an RTF file.
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation) wrote:

Dear colleagues:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I convert PDF files into RTF/DOC?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »