Mobile menu

Finding the point where you left off in Microsoft Word
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß
Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:46
English to German
Oct 10, 2003

Hi there,

I just read a useful tip posted by Geneviève von Levetzow in the German forum which I'd like to share with everyone else and expand on.

Geneviève quoted a German article on the following web site:

If you've ever wondered how to find the point in your text where you left off before closing a file or Microsoft word, you can find it easily by pressing Shift+F5 immediately after opening your document. So you never have to tear out your hair again in frustration

I used to mark my text with XXX or ### until I discovered the Bookmark command in the Insert menu.

With the cursor at the point that you want to find again, choose Bookmark from the Insert menu to open the Bookmark dialog box. Enter a descriptive name for the bookmark in the Bookmark Name text box, for example "continue", and click Add.

Note: You can't use spaces in bookmark names, e.g., "continue from here, but if you like you can use underscores, e. g. "continue_from_here".

The next time you open the document, choose Bookmark again from the Insert menu. In the Bookmark dialog box select the appropriate Bookmark and click Go to.

This of course is not as quick as Geneviève's trick but it means you can create multiple bookmarks for various purposes.

Another tip for those working with Trados: Have you ever left a segment open in a document while you went and had a look further up or down in the file? It can be quite a nuisance to try and find the open segment again to continue your work. In this situation, the Bookmark command in the Insert menu comes in handy too because when a segment is open there are two bookmarks listed tw4winFrom and tw4winUpto. Just select either of them and click Go to to continue working.

Direct link Reply with quote

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:46
Another trick for Trados users Oct 10, 2003

I have recorded a Word macro and use a toolbar button the go directly to the last instance of end segment code in the file.
That's quite handy in large documents, especially if you haven't defined different colours for source and target segments.
That way you don't have to remember to bookmark.

[Edited at 2003-10-10 09:44]

[Edited at 2003-10-10 09:45]

[Edited at 2003-10-10 09:49]

[Edited at 2003-10-10 09:50]

Marina Capalbo  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
another useful tip for Trados users Oct 10, 2003

To find a segment open in a document just press Ctrl Alt +
It works!!!

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Trados with open segment: Ctrl + Z and next Ctrl + Y Oct 10, 2003

I use to use Ctrl + Z to find the place where the last editing toke place. Thereafter you use Ctrl + Y to restore the "damage" you made with Ctrl + Z. Now you are exactly at the point where you stopped editing.

Works only for changes made in the current session, however, and not in just opened documents.
Secondly, for "manually edited" documents, the method Genevieve supplied (Shift + F5), is more safe.

However, the Ctrl + Z succeeded by Ctrl + Y is in my opinion more safe than [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [+] (= Set/Close Next no 100 % Open/ Get), because with that method you set a segment without knowing exactly how you translated it (in case you have been wandering some time through your document). You probabaly create now a translation unit with which you are not satisfied and you spoil the ability to consider the fuzzy matches (if any) Trados suggested. I sometimes use [Alt] + [+] (= Set/Close Next Open/ Get), a little more safe, because you jump now to exactly the next segment, so you can easily find back your unintentionally deserted segment.
In this thread Michael Bastin suggests a method to jump back:

Another method to find back your opened segment without spoiling the fuzzy matches (if any) Trados suggests, is using Alt + 0 (= Copy source). Now, however, you loose the possible changes you made.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding the point where you left off in Microsoft Word

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs