Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:53
English to French
+ ...
Oct 10, 2003

Hi,

I am translating a large series of small word documents broken down in many folders. Since I have some terminology issues I would like to be able to find all files in those folders containing a given set of text.

Do you know of any freeware/shareware that does the job?

Sorry if this question has already been asked.

Michael

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
You can use Windows Explorer Oct 10, 2003

Assuming that your operating system is Windows you can use Explorer to search for text in several files and/or folders. Click on Search in the Explorer toolbar and choose the directory or disk where your folders are located. Make sure that you mark inclusion of subdirectories under the additional options. I can't explain what each individual option is called since I use the German version of Windows.

Michael Bastin
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bob Oct 10, 2003

...and I dare call myself a "techie", I never thought this could be THAT easy.

I never paid attention to the additional options of the Search function on Windows XP.

Thanks a lot

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Inforapid Oct 10, 2003

Try Inforapid - it's free and it shows you the sentence that the word is found in, which means that you don't have to open all the files. Sounds ideal for the job you're working on.

http://www.inforapid.de/html/searchreplace.htm

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Inforapid Oct 10, 2003

Yow! Looks nifty.
You don't actually have to replace text in Inforapid. You can just use the program to find it. It then allows you to open the source document and you can proceed from there.

Thanks for the tip, Ian.

Pawel Skalinski

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Not great for replacing Oct 10, 2003

Hi Pawel,

Yes, I've only ever used it for searching - I used to use it a lot until I got Trados. I had problems getting it to replace text though, although I can't remember exactly what this was.

All the best

Ian

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Replace problems Oct 10, 2003

Word's formatting code is the problem. This is explained in detail on the web site.
If you replace text in a Word document using Inforapid, you will end up with a corrupted (read: useless) document.
It still looks like a very useful tool.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast would be a perfect solution Oct 10, 2003

Download a free trial version of Wordfast at www.wordfast.net and use the Concordance feature to select a phrase in Word and search for terms in as many files as you want in a few seconds.

Regards,
Gerard

Michael Bastin
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have Wordfast, commercial version what's more Oct 10, 2003

... but never thought I could use it for that purpose. I'll have to read the manual because I have no clue how you can use this function other than for finding previously translated segments in your translation memory, which is not my problem.

Lamprini Kosma
Lamprini Kosma  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
Wordfast would be a time-saving tool in your case Oct 10, 2003

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Download a free trial version of Wordfast at www.wordfast.net and use the Concordance feature to select a phrase in Word and search for terms in as many files as you want in a few seconds.

Regards,
Gerard

I agree with Gerard. Wordfast would be a perfect and most of all time-saving solution for this problem. And the trial version of it is free.

Best wishes,

Lamprini

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Ian Oct 10, 2003

for the Inforapid tip. Just this morning I was trying to work out which document I'd already translated contained "Scharnierbandförderer" - with no success. Inforapid took 204 seconds to search through thousands of files and found it! Magic. I also downloaded the Cardfile program, which also looks interesting.

Regards, Jill

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Search & Replace Oct 10, 2003

I use Search & Replace from www.funduc.com. It has a lot of usefull features for searching and replacing.
I use for glossaries as well.
Jørgen

[Edited at 2003-10-11 08:11]

[Edited at 2003-10-11 08:11]

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Thanks Ian from me too Oct 10, 2003

Belated thanks to Ian for the InfoRapid link which I've only just tested (having worked all day; sigh, sigh). InfoRapid Search & Replace is extremely fast and useful and well worth the 25 euros which the author requests/demands for commercial use.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:53
English to German
Textpad Oct 11, 2003

Hi there,

I've been using Textpad for years. You can download an evaluation copy but I don't think there is a 30-day limit for using it.

http://www.textpad.com

It's great for searching multiple files. You can also edit the files by doing a search and replace directly in Textpad but as I use Trados and don't want to mess things up, I don't use this feature which apparently can
... See more
Hi there,

I've been using Textpad for years. You can download an evaluation copy but I don't think there is a 30-day limit for using it.

http://www.textpad.com

It's great for searching multiple files. You can also edit the files by doing a search and replace directly in Textpad but as I use Trados and don't want to mess things up, I don't use this feature which apparently can cause problems.

What I use it for primarily is searching through multiple glossaries. I do a lot of work on Microsoft projects and often receive a dozen glossaries to work with. Textpad was recommended years ago by one of the localisation companies I work for and I have stuck with it ever since.

I tried Search & Replace but couldn't get used to it.

Coming back to the original question by Michael Bastin, any CAT tool would ensure that you translate terminology consistently but of course, they're not free.

HTH,

sparkie
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
English to French
Concordance, not context Oct 23, 2003

Michael Bastin wrote:

... but never thought I could use it for that purpose. I'll have to read the manual because I have no clue how you can use this function other than for finding previously translated segments in your translation memory, which is not my problem.

Wordfast has both a context search and a concordancer. In the concordancer, you can select folders to search, and from there on it works like the context search, except it's Ctrl+Alt+N. It's not very fancy in terms of options but integration in the workflow is perfect.

+tools is also an option, and quite a good one, when you have to search and replace in several Word files, because you can use all the usual S&R stuff, but it's a little slow because it displays files one after the next and actually open them in Word. Great if you are editing the files but slow if you are simply looking for a reference.

For InfoRapid, I like it. Pretty cool.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search text in files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »