https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/15241-style_question%3A_abbrevation_dots_and_full_stops.html

Style question: abbrevation dots and full stops
Thread poster: Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:22
German to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2003

If your sentence ends with 'etc.', would you use a) the dot marking the abbreviation PLUS 2) the full stop, resulting in etc..?

Somehow, the double dot solution seems most logical to me but it does look a bit weird.
Are they any thoughts on this, or even (preferably) a reliable style guide offering some guidance on this?

TIA
K.

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
No second dot Oct 24, 2003

The rule dictates that, as there is no dot before question and exclamation marks.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2003-10-24 23:01]

Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What rule? Oct 24, 2003

mónica alfonso wrote:

The rule dictates that (as in the case of question and exclamation marks).

Do you have a reference? Sorry, 'a rule' is a bit vague...

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
http://www.grammarbook.com/ Oct 24, 2003

See this URL for some rules. Not many, but useful ones. In this particular case:

Rule 2. If the last word in the sentence ends in a period, do not follow it with another period.

Examples:
I know that M.D. She is my sister-in-law.
Please shop, cook, etc. I will do the laundry.

[Edited at 2003-10-24 16:39]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
It depends ... Oct 24, 2003

... on the style guide you use.

The US publishers I translate for tend to use the Chicago Manual of Style, which says:

An abbreviating period, however, is never omitted before a mark of sentence punctuation *unless the latter is the period terminating the sentence.*

Other publishers may use other guides, such as the Oxford Style Manual, by Robert Ritter, or Judith Butcher's "light blue" equivalent, Copy-Editing: The Cambridge Handbook for Editors, Authors a
... See more
... on the style guide you use.

The US publishers I translate for tend to use the Chicago Manual of Style, which says:

An abbreviating period, however, is never omitted before a mark of sentence punctuation *unless the latter is the period terminating the sentence.*

Other publishers may use other guides, such as the Oxford Style Manual, by Robert Ritter, or Judith Butcher's "light blue" equivalent, Copy-Editing: The Cambridge Handbook for Editors, Authors and Publishers, or have their own rules.

It is a very good idea to select a "default" style guide and stick to it, so that you have an answer ready if anyone questions your punctuation.

It's also useful to agree with clients what guide should be used for each job. You can save the copy editors an amazing amount of time if all your commas are in the right place!

Cheers,

Giles
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
In french Oct 24, 2003

you write etc. and not etc...

You put it even for an exclamation mark

etc. !

But at the end of a sentence, not second dot.

les feuilles, les branches, etc.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:22
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Same in Albanian Oct 24, 2003

In Albanian you should write:
etj.; etj., etj.!
but
etj. (if it is the end of the sentence.)
Monika

lien wrote:

you write etc. and not etc...

You put it even for an exclamation mark

etc. !

But at the end of a sentence, not second dot.

les feuilles, les branches, etc.

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 17:22
Japanese to English
+ ...
Isn't this the same thing? Oct 24, 2003

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
No, it's not the same thing Oct 26, 2003

Alexandru Pojoga wrote:

Lets say that you want to list items 1, 2, 3, etc., then the abbreviating period for etc. is not the end of your sentence, but there is a punctuation mark after it (the comma).

Same also applies to e.g., i.e., etc., etc.

HTH

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Style question: abbrevation dots and full stops

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »