https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/15732-proofreading_and_editing.html

proofreading and editing
Thread poster: Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 09:52
English to Urdu
+ ...
Nov 12, 2003

What is the difference b/w proofreading and editing?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:52
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Nov 12, 2003

...to Techniques.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
proofreading and editing Nov 12, 2003

Editing means preparing a manuscript for publication.

Proofreading means checking a printed proof against a manuscript for typesetting errors.

Marc

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Some resources Nov 12, 2003

Hi, I've found some interesting articles on this subject, though not necessarily targeted at translators.

See more
Hi, I've found some interesting articles on this subject, though not necessarily targeted at translators.

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/agcomm/campus/guidelines/proofedit.htm

http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/writing-lab/proofreading_vs._tut.html

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/magazine/writing/editinghomepage.html

HTH,

Sonja
Collapse

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 09:52
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what do i do about this? Nov 12, 2003

azure_8 wrote:

What is the difference b/w proofreading and editing?

A company has been asking me to give them one rate for editing and proofreading. how is th at possible? they are two different things.

louisajay
louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
It can differ Nov 12, 2003

MarcPrior wrote:

Editing means preparing a manuscript for publication.

Proofreading means checking a printed proof against a manuscript for typesetting errors.

Marc

Please be aware this is not a universal definition, and these services can vary between agencies. For instance, I am a project manager and at my agency "editing" means comparing the translation with the source text and making changes for style, meaning and so on; proofreading is where the freelancer receives only the text in their own language (ie not the source txt) and must check it for typos, punctuation, corrupted characters etc.

I suggest you ask them what they understand by each of these terms and adjust your rates accordingly.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
It does differ - sadly Nov 12, 2003

Please be aware this is not a universal definition

These are the correct definitions. However, as you say, not everyone uses them and I ALWAYS clarify with the client exactly what is wanted.

Marc

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
different rates Nov 13, 2003

louisajay wrote:
Please be aware this is not a universal definition, and these services can vary between agencies. For instance, I am a project manager and at my agency "editing" means comparing the translation with the source text and making changes for style, meaning and so on; proofreading is where the freelancer receives only the text in their own language (ie not the source txt) and must check it for typos, punctuation, corrupted characters etc.

Absolutely, this is what these terms usually mean in a translation context.

Be advised many translation agencies will insist on paying a single rate for reviewing projects, no matter what amount of revision is involved. I personally charge different hourly rates for proofreading, basic editing or extensive editing/rewriting. And I always check with the client which level of revision they require. If I am given a text for basic editing, and it turns out the translation is a disaster, I will bring that to the client's attention to find out if they will agree to extensive editing. I would never assume before asking.

Hope this helps,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2003-11-13 05:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proofreading and editing

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »