Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:07
Flemish to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2003

I am translating a text full of typical American Stock-Exchange jargon which cannot be translated into the target-language. So, I have added a short explanation of the meaning in Italics between brackets.
What do you prefer : this method or using footnotes?

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-) I am a lazy woman... Nov 14, 2003

short explanation of the meaning in Italics between brackets.
What do you prefer : this method or using footnotes?

So, beside all considerations for style, I prefer to see the meaning in brackets. After having read plenty of books wasting my time with footnotes and endnotes, I have developed a blindness for footnote markers. I simply don't see them any longer.
Also, since what you insert in brackets relates to what's just before, and it is not a bibliographical note, I prefer to read clarifying meaning without having to scan the page.

Best regards,

P.

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
It depends.... Nov 14, 2003

on what your target language is; some languages prefer brackets and some prefer footnotes. Endnotes are also a possibility. It also depends on the text type and function. Perhaps the best thing would be to look at texts in the target language that are of a similar nature and see how they deal with it (they could be translated or written in the target language). I hope that helps.
Aisha

Note added:
It also depends on your target audience and what you assume or the text as
... See more
on what your target language is; some languages prefer brackets and some prefer footnotes. Endnotes are also a possibility. It also depends on the text type and function. Perhaps the best thing would be to look at texts in the target language that are of a similar nature and see how they deal with it (they could be translated or written in the target language). I hope that helps.
Aisha

Note added:
It also depends on your target audience and what you assume or the text assumes that they may already know about the subject. Giovanna's suggestion of adding a glossary is a pretty good one!

[Edited at 2003-11-14 10:55]

[Edited at 2003-11-14 10:56]
Collapse

giogi
giogi
Local time: 01:07
well, Nov 14, 2003

I think that the meaning in brackets would work if the jargoon words were limited to a small number, otherwise your text will turn out to be a mess. My suggestion is to add a page (before the text translated) containing a small glossary, or if you prefer, an appendix for the notes. Footnotes are useful as a reference to a bibliography, quotations...
Hope to be exhaustive

JoGunn
JoGunn
Local time: 00:07
English to Icelandic
+ ...
ask your client Nov 14, 2003

Why not ask your client how he/she wants it done? That way you won\'t get complaints after you turn in the translation.
If it\'s being left up to you and you have to explain a lot of terms, I think having a glossary would be a good idea. You could then italicise the words in the text as a reference to the glossary.
If it\'s just a few words, I think your solution of using brackets is just fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brackets or footnotes?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »