Subtitle on movie ..Are they checked???
Thread poster: Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
France
Local time: 17:23
English to French
Mar 4, 2002

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a nice week-end and you\'re all ready for the end ahead.

Just want to catch your attention on the following issue..

I was watching a French movie on Saturday with English subtitle the film is \"Taxi2\" by the way.. I was shocked by the translation, I\'m French native myself and believe me that the subtitle were not meaning what they were saying in French..

This is not the first time I\'ve noticed that, I just wonder how this can happen??? does anyone, check afterwards or use some Native Speaker to make sure, that the all movie has been translated properly and will make sense....?

I find it hard myself to get jobs as Translator / Interpreter, and after watching that movie It made me feel sick that some people pretends to be a Translator..

Is this due to the fact that they don\'t use Native speaker of the language, is it to avoid to use rude words?? I don\'t know.. All I know it\'s that it doesn\'t sound as it should be, which is a shame and not fair on people watching those films without even knowing it.

I just wanted to share that with you all and maybe for some of you that will sounds like a \" Déjà vu \"

Bonne journée

Virginie

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:23
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Space limitations, etc. Mar 9, 2002

One criteria that influences this is space limitations. At the rate Dustin Hoffman talks, you\'d fill the screen in no time flat. One bad experience I have had was the producer\'s refusal to let me see the film, saying I could just work from the script. It was one of my first jobs, I had already signed the contract and I didn\'t know how to back out. Imagine my surprise at the release to find out that a word I had taken as a proper name (it was capitalised) was a \"surnom\" and, say for instance, the man I thought was called \"Bossu\" was a hunchback!

There is also a lot of idiomatic language in films, so that subtitling should always be done in a team of (at least) two - this is a \"must\" in Disney, because BEING A NATIVE SPEAKER OF THE TARGET LANGUAGE MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENT. One forgettable western I keep seeing in Spanish is (I don\'t know how they twisted the script to fit it in) about an Indian called \"Ojos de Serpiente\", who appears on the screen as a white man! (Fruit of not quite grasping the colloquial meaning of \"Snake Eyes\"). One title I won\'t forget is \"Suddenly Last Summer\", which turned into a disaster film (De repente, el último verano - \"Armageddon\" were better).

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle on movie ..Are they checked???

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs