Having dictionaries rebound - Is it possible?
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 10:02
German to English
Nov 25, 2003

Dear Prozies,

The cover just fell off my favorite business dictionary today. Actually I am suprised it lasted as long as it did.... My two most used technical dictionaries are basically shreds held together by masking tape.

A lot of your dictionaries probably look the same (or maybe am I just particularly rough on mine).

I was wondering if it is possible to have dictionaries rebound. Has anyone tried this before? Has it worked? Who do you go to to have a b
... See more
Dear Prozies,

The cover just fell off my favorite business dictionary today. Actually I am suprised it lasted as long as it did.... My two most used technical dictionaries are basically shreds held together by masking tape.

A lot of your dictionaries probably look the same (or maybe am I just particularly rough on mine).

I was wondering if it is possible to have dictionaries rebound. Has anyone tried this before? Has it worked? Who do you go to to have a book rebound and how long does it take?

Thanks,
Rebecca
Collapse

JoGunn
JoGunn
Local time: 14:02
English to Icelandic
+ ...
getting books rebound Nov 25, 2003

If the book is sewn together and not glued, then you can get it rebound. I've done this on several occasions and got good results. Covers can often be replaced on glued books.
Try searching for "bookbinders" in the yellow pages.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:02
Spanish to English
yes of course Nov 25, 2003

I don't know what is available in Germany, but it is a service that is definitely available in other countries.
But if you can't find anything in your own country, you could always check out doing it yourself. The instructions seem to be on this site, though I haven't attempted it myself.
http://www.rebinding.com/

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Do it yourself Nov 25, 2003

From what I understand, your dictionary is precious for its contents, not its looks. So you might consider doing it yourself.

There's a "rebinding" tape available at stationery stores . It comes in several colors (I got some in black, bright red, white and aquablue).

It's extremely sticky a tape, so you might waste some at the beginning before you acquire a proper technique. It works wonders -- though it may not necessarily look very good. I've added years and years of
... See more
From what I understand, your dictionary is precious for its contents, not its looks. So you might consider doing it yourself.

There's a "rebinding" tape available at stationery stores . It comes in several colors (I got some in black, bright red, white and aquablue).

It's extremely sticky a tape, so you might waste some at the beginning before you acquire a proper technique. It works wonders -- though it may not necessarily look very good. I've added years and years of use to my reference books this way. You tape the spine and wherever needed inside the covers.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Having dictionaries rebound - Is it possible?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »