Thread poster: Katy62

Katy62
Local time: 12:34
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2004

Hi,
I am to transcribe a film into German.
I got the English file (in Word, with special formats) and the German dialog script (a regular tif file).
So, what do they want? They have both languages. I have never transcribed anything. I have no clue and - obviously - I don't want to appear too ignorant... (although I am).
Thanks for any input.

Katy

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Write it down Jan 15, 2004

tif is a picture format. They will want it in Word format, too.

Maybe you can apply OCR software, maybe you should print it out and type it from there.

Transcribing means just typing the text from any source.

(And don't simply insert the tif graphics into Word )

[Edited at 2004-01-15 08:24]

Katy62
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay Jan 15, 2004

Harry_B wrote:

tif is a picture format. They will want it in Word format, too.

Maybe you can apply OCR software, maybe you should print it out and type it from there.

Transcription means just typing the text from any source.

I guess, I understand. But why did they send me the English original? The are even going to send the original English film. I really would not need that...

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:34
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

Uh.. oh.. Jan 15, 2004

Katy62 wrote:

what do they want? They have both languages. I have never transcribed anything. I have no clue

Scary!

Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:34
Finnish to English
I'd ask them Jan 15, 2004

Perhaps they want you to check that the German is OK

cheers

spencer

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:34
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
transcription Jan 15, 2004

You will need to check it against the film : if the sentences match the film, no missing parts, wrong order of sentences etc. Someone will have to translated from your version of the file in other languages (probably) and it will need to be consistent, otherwise it will be useless or confusing.

It is really best to ask your client what you are supposed to do. After all if you do not do what they are paying you for, there will be great problems. If you do not ask, the client will suppose that you know all about it.

The best of luck to you!

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
.. and check the PO Jan 15, 2004

Are you supposed to transcribe the film or the script?
Transcribing the film is much more work and should be paid better.
On the other hand, if you are only supposed to transcribe the tif-script, they would not pay you for your extra effort of transcribing the film

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
They may want you to do more Jan 16, 2004

This may be just another case of the customer not telling you everything that needs to be done. It definitely sounds like you need to talk to the customer as to what the requirements are. A name is just a name. Only transcription? Well, you just type out what you hear (or see in a different format).
So, of course, you should be wondering what the original has to do with anything. It sounds like good news for you: more work. Apparently they also want you to do correcting/proofreading/editing, which is another service to charge for.

Good luck.

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
where I come from Jan 16, 2004

... transcription means a 'verbatim' of the film. You write down all you hear, noting who speaks or is it off camera.

They may want you to check the transcript vs. the film or the original.

As others already indicated here: DO ASK!!!
Regards
-A-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is TRANSCRIPTION?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs