Mobile menu

Large translation job: should I email to find out what's going on
Thread poster: Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 06:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2004

I could do with a bit of advice. I've been shortlisted to translate a Russian novel. I was sent a test translation on Friday to be completed by 3p.m. but something was amiss with the Cyrillic encoding - all I received was a string of question marks! I'm sure it was a problem at the sender's end so I emailed back to ask her to send the test again. So far I've had no reply. Do you think it's a bit too pushy to email once more to try and find out what's going on?

Kind regards,
Elizabeth Sumner
elizabeth@polaris-translation.co.uk

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:06
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
No, Feb 3, 2004

IMHO, it isn't. It happens often, as Russian uses many different encodings. So I would write once again and ask to send the job in standart Cyrilic Windows 1251.

Uldis
Elizabeth Sumner wrote:
Do you think it's a bit too pushy to email once more to try and find out what's going on?

Kind regards,
Elizabeth Sumner
elizabeth@polaris-translation.co.uk[/quote]

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 07:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It is a must to let them know you can't read the text Feb 3, 2004

This is not pushy at all: you've got to tell them you need a different encoding or ask them about the one they used. Then, you are not pushy: you are polite.

And, if there is no answer again, I'd send send them an email with a couple of lines of questionmarks. (But I am bad...)

Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 06:06
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll send another email Feb 3, 2004

Thanks for your advice. I did email her at first to say the encoding hadn't worked, I had to let her know before the deadline for the test ran out. I'll write to her again asking when she's going to send a new version.

Elizabeth Sumner
elizabeth@polaris-translation.co.uk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large translation job: should I email to find out what's going on

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs