Large translation job: should I email to find out what's going on
Thread poster: Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 03:53
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2004

I could do with a bit of advice. I've been shortlisted to translate a Russian novel. I was sent a test translation on Friday to be completed by 3p.m. but something was amiss with the Cyrillic encoding - all I received was a string of question marks! I'm sure it was a problem at the sender's end so I emailed back to ask her to send the test again. So far I've had no reply. Do you think it's a bit too pushy to email once more to try and find out what's going on?

Kind regards,
Elizabeth Sumner
elizabeth@polaris-translation.co.uk

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:53
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
No, Feb 3, 2004

IMHO, it isn't. It happens often, as Russian uses many different encodings. So I would write once again and ask to send the job in standart Cyrilic Windows 1251.

Uldis
Elizabeth Sumner wrote:
Do you think it's a bit too pushy to email once more to try and find out what's going on?

Kind regards,
Elizabeth Sumner
elizabeth@polaris-translation.co.uk[/quote]

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 04:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It is a must to let them know you can't read the text Feb 3, 2004

This is not pushy at all: you've got to tell them you need a different encoding or ask them about the one they used. Then, you are not pushy: you are polite.

And, if there is no answer again, I'd send send them an email with a couple of lines of questionmarks. (But I am bad...)

Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 03:53
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll send another email Feb 3, 2004

Thanks for your advice. I did email her at first to say the encoding hadn't worked, I had to let her know before the deadline for the test ran out. I'll write to her again asking when she's going to send a new version.

Elizabeth Sumner
elizabeth@polaris-translation.co.uk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large translation job: should I email to find out what's going on

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs