Pricing job with tables that don't need translation
Thread poster: Lori Dendy-Molz

Lori Dendy-Molz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:00
German to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2004

I have a complex price list to translate that includes several large tables that won't need translating other than changing the headers. Other tables will need corrections (changing commas to periods, etc). I will have to at least eyeball all tables for consistency. Should I offer a discount for the tables I don't need to change?

Direct link Reply with quote

Pat Jenner
Local time: 20:00
German to English
+ ...
How about a combination of volume and time? Feb 5, 2004

Can you easily extract the non-tabular part of the file and do a word count on that? If so, I would suggest charging your rate per word/line for that part and charge the time it takes you to adapt the tables.

Lori Dendy-Molz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:00
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea, but... Feb 6, 2004

the customer wanted a "pauschal" price quote. I ended up just charging my per line rate for the whole file. As Tayfun mentioned above, any time spared by not having to translate numbers will be balanced out by the aggravation of dealing with so many tables and formatting.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Lori Dendy-Molz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing job with tables that don't need translation

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs