"A Journey into Chinese-English Environmental Translation": How (not) to use dictionaries
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:42
Czech to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2004

"Dictionaries are compiled by people like you and me, with a finite knowledge of the world, and so are not infallible."

Hi,

I just came across this interesting article about the problems when using dictionaries. Though it is about Chinese-English translation it also applies to every other language, I'm afraid...

... See more
"Dictionaries are compiled by people like you and me, with a finite knowledge of the world, and so are not infallible."

Hi,

I just came across this interesting article about the problems when using dictionaries. Though it is about Chinese-English translation it also applies to every other language, I'm afraid...

Enjoy!

http://accurapid.com/journal/27environ.htm
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:42
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
And take a look at Juliet's rose while you're there! Feb 10, 2004

Following the same link, there's a very useful paper on translating proper names in the margin on the left.

(Juliet's Rose would NOT smell as sweet)

... with a lot of good advice for everyone, not just those who speak Spanish.

Thanks for a good link!

CNF
CNF
Local time: 03:42
Great site! Feb 10, 2004

Thanks, Charlotte!

Regards,
Naty :^)

Kurt Hammond
Kurt Hammond  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:42
Japanese to English
I have seen this phenomena Mar 16, 2004

I have seen this phenomena all to frequently in Japanese to English translation.
When doing web search, I ignore .jp results whenever possible, or to confirm it is 'really a word,' I doublecheck any .jp result with non-Japan results. There are some more obvious examples of Japanese-manufactured English such as 'pair look' (a similarly dressed couple), 'good sense' (fashionable), 'good style' (good body proportions), and so on.

Charlotte Blank wrote:

Hi,

Enjoy!

http://accurapid.com/journal/27environ.htm[/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"A Journey into Chinese-English Environmental Translation": How (not) to use dictionaries

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »