Thread poster: Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 18, 2010

Got an email saying unfortunately my translation was not approved by their proofreader. When I asked them to show me the correction, for no reason whatsover, they are not allowed to disclose it. Fishy!

asia20002
asia20002  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:56
English to Polish
+ ...
proofreading Oct 18, 2010

I would insist on sending me the text after proofreading and I really cannot understand the agency's explanation. You know the text so there is nothing to disclose.

Joanna

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is what they wrote Oct 18, 2010

I am very sorry but I am unable to share any further details. For the evaluations we are not requesting a marked up document from the reviewer, only an evaluation. This involves internal documentation and processes. Unfortunately I cannot give you a more detailed feedback at this stage.

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Is this... Oct 18, 2010

... a certain agency that also has a Web portal where you can accept and where you have to submit the translations? (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say their name here...) If yes, then we're probably in the same boat..

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Witold Chocholski
Witold Chocholski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Too far Oct 18, 2010

It simply seems that the longer you work without any problems, the more likely it is that you will come across something unpleasant soon.

I had some payment issues 2 or 3 years ago (successfully solved) and until now everything was just fine. I kept being cautious and maybe overprotecive as well as I covered all the details of my projects in my emails with clients.

So what? I ended with one client dodging payment and another one claiming price reduction after the job
... See more
It simply seems that the longer you work without any problems, the more likely it is that you will come across something unpleasant soon.

I had some payment issues 2 or 3 years ago (successfully solved) and until now everything was just fine. I kept being cautious and maybe overprotecive as well as I covered all the details of my projects in my emails with clients.

So what? I ended with one client dodging payment and another one claiming price reduction after the job has been completed.

No matter what you do and how you want be fair, there will always be a real risk of frauds and people who want to use your skills for as cheap as possible (of for free).

Your case is ridiculous, their explanation useless. Simply invoice them and demand full payment. You have no reason to compensate them for anything and I assume this is the reason they raised the issue.

Good luck with your payment and forget about this client in the future. Not worth your health.

Good luck
Witold
Collapse

Vidmantas Stilius
Vidmantas Stilius  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:56
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
In memoriam
The same story Oct 18, 2010

Helen

I had the same story with the same agency earlier this year.
I insisted on sending me the corrected version, but they just stopped replying emails.

Regards,
Vidmantas

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I simply know.... Oct 18, 2010

that my work was excellent !

well, that was a test... not a job to be paid

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blue Board! Oct 18, 2010

I definitely think you should post a negative entry in the Blue Board. An agency cannot say that you were wrong without proving it! That is bad practice and other people should know who they are dealing with.
Cheers!
Tomás

Etienne Kouakou
Etienne Kouakou  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Report them; help colleagues avoid them! Oct 18, 2010

Helena--you did the right thing. See how many others had the same experience with that company? They don't want to pay and their excuse is that the quality of your work isn't up to par! The right thing to do is to disclose their name and you did! Good job

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
I don't see it like that Oct 18, 2010

I think that if it was just a test, it is reasonable for the agency to say that it wasn't good enough without having to provide a reason or a detailed list of errors. It would be nice if they give you some specific feedback, but I don't think you can expect it.

I'm not saying that your translation wasn't up to scratch, but I just think that a test isn't the same as a paid job. AFAIK you can't post a Blueboard entry about negative feedback on a test. Or am I wrong?

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:56
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Try this: ... Oct 18, 2010

Take a look at this site - someone showed here at proz:

http://www.paymentpractices.net/Default.aspx

I think it could be a good idea convincing www.proz.com to install a link to this site. If one of us get payment problems, we put its name easily on this site.

So o
... See more
Take a look at this site - someone showed here at proz:

http://www.paymentpractices.net/Default.aspx

I think it could be a good idea convincing www.proz.com to install a link to this site. If one of us get payment problems, we put its name easily on this site.

So others, starting to work with such guys, could knew in advance if there is a good service provider or not.

I remember that banks use the same approach before they give credit to its clients. Why not doing the same here?

Regards

Wolf Kux
Collapse

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course they do Oct 18, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I think that if it was just a test, it is reasonable for the agency to say that it wasn't good enough without having to provide a reason or a detailed list of errors. It would be nice if they give you some specific feedback, but I don't think you can expect it.

I'm not saying that your translation wasn't up to scratch, but I just think that a test isn't the same as a paid job. AFAIK you can't post a Blueboard entry about negative feedback on a test. Or am I wrong?

This has to do first of all with politeness and being professional. If they make you waste yr time with something, they should at least, show you why they do not agree with you. It does give a very bad image of their almighty lazy way of working.

[Edited at 2010-10-18 19:44 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Helena Oct 18, 2010

Helena Grahn wrote:
Got an email saying unfortunately my translation was not approved by their proofreader. When I asked them to show me the correction, for no reason whatsover, they are not allowed to disclose it.

If there is an agreement between you and them that you will be paid for your translation, then they have to pay you unless they can prove that your translation was not up to standard. If they refuse to pay you but also refuse to show you why they refuse, then they are breaking the contract. If they refuse to tell you why your translation was rejected now, they would have to tell you anyway by the time the case ends up in court.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aren't these agencies taking too far?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »