Mobile menu

Pricing translation of a videolecture
Thread poster: Rostyslav Voloshchuk

Rostyslav Voloshchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Mar 7, 2004

I am translating a lecture on placental ultrasound from English into Ukrainian. All I have is a videocasette. How is this type of job priced? I mean, if I get x USD per word or y USD per hour (interpretation), woh much should I take for 44 mins of video / 6000 words?
Comments highly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Price Mar 7, 2004

There are two processes involved:

1.- Transcription of the English audio on into print language (a word processing file).

2.- Translation of the above into Ukrainian.

No. 1 Takes an amount of time that is not easily determined.

No. 2 may be done on a per-word basis once you have the file and you know how many words there are.

Therefore, how can you tell there are 6,000 words? That sounds like very few for the time of the video.

No. 1 must be done by the hour and No. 2 by the word. You probably cannot judge how long the transcription will take you, so it may not be easy to give your client a firm price on the job. All you can give is s price per hour but you will not know how many hours. You cannot do it as a "simultaneuos interpretation" rate for the audio time and make a proper fee on it.

As an alternative, you can have the client get it transcribed. Transcription also requires special equipment, but transcriptionists should charge much less than translators.

Then you just charge by the word for translation. Just do not let anyone tell you it is 6,000 words and quote on that. They do not know nor do you.

Do not allow yourself to be manipulated.

Rostyslav Voloshchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Additional info Mar 9, 2004

I was not explicit enough. Actually, I have already done a part of this huge project, - 44 minutes and 6000 words (in Ukrainian). So I know the size of my text precisely, and I know how much I should take for actual translation. I also know that the transcroption job took me about 7 hours. Obviously I cannot demand my client to pay for 7 hours of interpretation, neither can I take money for only 44 mins of interpretation. So how much should I price the transcription? I need to know the generally accepted price if it exists.

PS. As you see, I am not manipulated with.

[Edited at 2005-05-13 12:37]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing translation of a videolecture

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs