How do I disable 'track changes' function in Word XP so that it can't be seen by someone else?
Thread poster: Jana Teteris

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:01
Latvian to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2004

I am working a long document, which my proofreader has reviewed using the track changes function.

Despite many of the advantages of Word XP, I am more used to working with Word 2000, so cannot for the life of me work out how I can disable the track-changes/markup/review etc functions, so that the client cannot enable them and see all the corrections. Word XP appears to allow you make the review/track changes function disappear from view, but it would seem that the functions can just as easily be enabled.

I've copied and pasted and re-saved the document under a new name - but it hasn't helped.

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? Any suggestions are most welcome!

[Edited at 2004-03-15 03:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:01
English to German
+ ...
Accept changes Mar 15, 2004

Hi Jana,
Assuming that you agree with all changes made by your proofreader, you will need to accept all changes in the document (of course, you can also do that one by one: maybe you want to reject one or another).

Changing the view in Word XP only hides the marking - same as in Word 2k, really...

HTH, Ralf

United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked, however........ Mar 15, 2004

Thank you Ralf, for pointing out the obvious! I've only been using XP for a week and there's still a lot to learn.

One last question though. Is there any way of deleting the names of the reviewers? Not that it's of huge signifance this time round, but it might come in useful some time in the future.

Thanks

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Why not make a copy... Mar 15, 2004

Jana Teteris wrote:

One last question though. Is there any way of deleting the names of the reviewers? Not that it's of huge signifance this time round, but it might come in useful some time in the future.

Thanks

Hi Jana -

I'm wondering why you don't simply accept the changes you agree with and then make a fresh copy of the document. There shouldn't be any traces of prior changes. The document will be "created" by you at that moment, with no more signs of prior editing than when you copy-paste a text from the web, for example.

Best,
Esther

United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 15, 2004

Thank you Esther! I'll give it a go.

Piotr Turski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:01
English to Polish
+ ...
Try changing Word settings Mar 15, 2004

Go to: Tools - Options, click on the Security tab; there under Privacy Options check "Remove personal information from this file on save". This way when you reopen the document you will find all the comments having been made by an "Author".

Piotr

[Edited at 2004-03-15 10:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I disable 'track changes' function in Word XP so that it can't be seen by someone else?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs