Mobile menu

Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:14
Flemish to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2004

Before a manuscript is ready for print, it is being revised with regard to spelling in the language it is written in and with regard to typography.
With regard to typography, I am a newbie. Where can I find more information about typographical signs and the pre-press production process?

Direct link Reply with quote
Raffaella Cornacchini  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:14
English to Italian
+ ...
info from Italy Mar 23, 2004

Hi Williamson,
I work in an Italian publishing house. Though Italian typograms may differ from English ones (BTW see - 4k - Copia cache - Pagine simili
for English typographical signs)always keep in mind this:
1) never use pencils, always use red and/or green pens for corrections (you can mix both in case you got plenty of corrections;
2) be legible, especially as far as names as concerned (you may know the name of the guy you are mentioning, the typosetter may not);
3) the larger the print, the easier the mistake,so always doublecheck what must be correct: title, name of the author, name of the publisher, price.
4) a good linguistic knowledge is an asset but it's not enough. You should have by nature an eye for details.
That said, I find proofreading really fun. I hate typos and think every book has a dignity of its own.

Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:14
English to Greek
+ ...
Europa - Publications Office Mar 23, 2004

You can have a look here:
I think that what you are looking for is Chapter 6 in the Third Part.
This page is in English but it is also available in all EU languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs