Mobile menu

How to make references about tr-tion of rarely used proper names?
Thread poster: Zhanna Rohalska

Zhanna Rohalska
United States
Local time: 06:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 6, 2004

I have the Ukrainian translation which I am polishing. I have a lot of Latin first and last names which I had to translate. I should put them into references. E.g. ----(the name) 1
What are the general rules of making references?

Would be very thankful for any proffesional answer.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Apr 6, 2004 Techniques.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
English to Turkish
Can you be more specific? Apr 6, 2004

Hi convaliya,

Do you mean that you have to use the different language versions of the same name in the text and bibliography sections of the book? Such as:

We have a guy named Paul. As your source text is in English, the name is Paul throughout the text. However, as this is a religious or royal figure, you change it into Pavel in your target text. (May I assume that the Ukrainian version of the name is the same as the Russian one?) But then, you have the bibliography, and there's a reference to a book by this guy, and the author somehow made his reference from the Spanish edition of the book. So the name of the person (who's no one else but our Paul/Pavel) is Pablo.

Are you asking for advice about a situation like this one, or about something else completely?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make references about tr-tion of rarely used proper names?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs