Mobile menu

translating the names of exhibitions on a CV
Thread poster: mbc
Local time: 13:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2004

Hello Everyone,
I am translating a Catalan artist´s CV into English for an exhibition in Germany and Finland. The CV (4 pages in total) includes about 3 pages of individual and group shows. The artist wasn´t sure if the titles of the shows should be translated and has left it up to my discretion. Usually, I don´t translate such titles, but usually they aren´t of such importance. The titles are actually quite beautiful and give a "feeling" for the man and his work. I thought of leaving them in Catalan and putting the English translation in parenthesis. However, if someone were to search for information about one of the exhibitions using the English translation they would come up empty handed...

I would love to hear your opinions.

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxlauren herme  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm a big fan of parentheses Apr 7, 2004

Hi Madeline!
I've run into this dilema quite often, and my general conclusion is: if the work isn't well-known in the English speaking world (i.e. no English translation), leaving the title in the original language with the English translation in parentheses seems to be the best way to go. It would be an advantage for English speakers who are seeing this persons CV to have an idea what kind of work the artist does, and if his titles are expressive, well even more important.
Hope this helps : )
Lauren Hermele

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating the names of exhibitions on a CV

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs