Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
backspace key got stuck...14 pages lost!!!
Thread poster: ADSTRAD

ADSTRAD  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:02
English to French
+ ...
Apr 27, 2004

Hello
just in case someone would have a solution to this. I just lost 14 pages in Word, because my backspace key got stuck (my cat stepped on it!!!) and the only way to stop it was to shut word down. any clue ?
thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It depends Apr 27, 2004

If you forced Word to close, there should be a backup, which usually should be restored after restarting Word.
If this is not the case, look in your Word startup folder, there should be a backup copy of the file you worked on before the crash. If you don´t find anything, search your PC for files named *.asd. The newest one could help. If it does not help, go to your Windows temp folder and examine *.tmp or ~*.* files.
All this will help only in case you did not close Word in ordinary way. If it is closed in ordinary way, it deletes all working files, so there is no way to restore a document then.

For the case your cat would like to hunt mice on your keyboard again: you should better have allowed to go backspace until it stops from itself and then used the undo function. Word lets you restore nearly any operation you did. Simply use the tool bar or press ALT+BACKSPACE.

Regards
Jerzy

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that is what I understood, but too late Apr 27, 2004

Dear Jerzy
actually, I think I panicked a bit, which caused this fatal no-return situation. I have tried all your solutions.... and will now start re-typing again....next time I will simply watch my work disappear without moving a finger!!!!
thanks a lot!
Caroline

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:02
French to Spanish
+ ...
Shoot the cat ! Apr 27, 2004

Another solution.

Miauw!

asil
Local time: 14:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
or leave the cat without dessert for a week!!! Apr 28, 2004

Juan Jacob wrote:

Another solution.

Miauw!

That's what happens when cats are fed with pellet food, not with actual, fat and dirty mice!!! (though shooting the cat does not look that bad, after all)

claude
Thailand
English to French
It happened to me Apr 28, 2004

I had this already and I concluded it was a virus.
Check your protection and analyse your computer.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
(auto) save the document regularly Apr 28, 2004

As I have problems with my computer sometimes as well (not caused by cats, but it considers itself old after 2 years and sometimes just shuts down on me), I make sure I save my file after each paragraph at least.

I even had the power supply of my laptop dying on me last Christmas - I now have this incredibly small external hard disk (60 Gig), and save my documents on that as well so I can work on another computer with the same documents. VERY useful!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A new computer virus named CAT, be carefull! Apr 28, 2004

claude wrote:

I had this already and I concluded it was a virus.
Check your protection and analyse your computer.

I think the best protection in this particular case is to have enough cat sweets to lock the cat down from the keyboard

Regarding all other tipps: autosaving won´t help, if you close Word in regular way, as it assumes you don´t want to restore the deleted lines ans removes all temporary data.

Regards
Jerzy

Lesley Clayton
France
French to English
+ ...
Saving document Apr 28, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regarding all other tipps: autosaving won´t help, if you close Word in regular way, as it assumes you don´t want to restore the deleted lines ans removes all temporary data.

Regards
Jerzy

I think what Anjo meant was that she saves her document regularly each time she comes to the end of a paragraph as she is working on it. That would mean that if the document is closed (even correctly) only the last paragraph would be lost if anything untoward happened.

I also save my documents regularly as I am working on them because I\'ve been caught out by power cuts in the past.

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Teach your mouse to roar... Apr 28, 2004

Oh, how I feel for you! My cat did that once too, she always comes through the window and hop, skips over my desk. Once she stepped down on the keyboard and deleted 3 pages with no return for me. But fourteen! I really feel for you, I know that doesn't help you now, but you are not alone. I hope your deadline isn't too tight and that you have a good memory.
Kind regards,
Gayle

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good one Apr 28, 2004

That's a good one! thank you
I am not too worried about the deadline, it's just it is a very very long patent with endless formulae and dead-boring compounds...

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
CAT tools strike again Apr 28, 2004

Although it won't help you this time around, this is another hidden benefit offered by TRADOS. Every time you translate a segment in Trados, it gets saved in the Trados memory, whereas your word document only saves when you hit the save button.

That means that if you were to lose a large chunck of your translated document, all you have to do is open the original and have Trados automatically translate it all for you. It can save you days!!!

Alison

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
paper format Apr 28, 2004

[quote]Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

Although it won't help you this time around, this is another hidden benefit offered by TRADOS. Every time you translate a segment in Trados, it gets saved in the Trados memory, whereas your word document only saves when you hit the save button.

I know that!! but these patents are only provided on paper format. no way to use Trados!

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
OT: OCR may be worth a try... Apr 28, 2004

ADSTRAD wrote:
these patents are only provided on paper
format. no way to use Trados!

I find the time spent OCRing long paper sources (books in my case) is very well paid-off by the possibility of using Trados features (Wordfast here - esp. concordance, context and glossaries) on the output documents, even adding the time needed to apply a bit of cosmetics (styles and spellcheck).

...CAT protection against cats

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:32
English to Tamil
+ ...
Take regular save as copies Apr 28, 2004

I do not have any CAT tools. And I am concious of the fact that in a modern day document there are many repetitions. Especially so in a patent.
As soon as I type a certain number of pages (even one page would do), I take a save as copy with the name given in a logical manner. After typing a few more pages, I again take another save as copy with the same name and replace the existing file with the same name, with the new saved as file. In that way you will have 2 identical translated files growing up side by side.
Whenever I get a repeat para, all I do is to just tile the 2 files one above the other with the saved as copy at the bottom. Select the earlier translated para from the bottom file, copy it and paste it on the current file's repeat para to get at the translation. I always work with the horizontal tiling with the original text at the bottom and the translated text at the top. So for the copy pasting purposes, the save as copy of the translation will now and then take the place of the original file for the purpose as described above.
But remember one thing. Whenever you are going to take a new save as copy, see to it the earlier save as copy is not open with minimization.
Now we come to the cat (the animal, not the tool). If the text has been wiped out, don't panic. Shoo the cat away, close the wiped out file and open the save as copy. Take a save as copy of this file and give the name of the translated file. Word will ask you, whether you want to replace the file with the same name with this new save as copy. Click ok and there you are.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-04-28 16:53]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

backspace key got stuck...14 pages lost!!!

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs