https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/21051-how_do_you_organise_your_glossaries.html

How do you organise your glossaries?
Thread poster: Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:02
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
May 8, 2004

I've just begun using the glossary tool on Proz, and I of course maintain an extensive set of glossaries off-line, in tab-delimited .txt format (for consultation in MS Excel and for use with Wordfast). What system works best for you?

Of course, you may have glossaries of specific terminology for specific clients, but for general use, do you have all your terms bunched together in one big glossary for convenience? Or do you have different glossaries for different subjects?

Steve Melling
Steve Melling  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:02
French to English
+ ...
More and more detail Jul 23, 2004

Jeremy Smith wrote:

I've just begun using the glossary tool on Proz, and I of course maintain an extensive set of glossaries off-line, in tab-delimited .txt format (for consultation in MS Excel and for use with Wordfast). What system works best for you?

Of course, you may have glossaries of specific terminology for specific clients, but for general use, do you have all your terms bunched together in one big glossary for convenience? Or do you have different glossaries for different subjects?

I've just come across your post which seemed to have passed a lot of people by. Personally, I started off with one all-encompassing "technical" glossary. I then set up a "non-technical" glossary! by non-technical, I mean the sort of general terms one finds in documents, business buzz words, expressions etc. I also have a legal one and now a financial glossary.
The technical side has become more and more specific because as we all know the very word "technical" is far too vague. I've done quite a lot of conveying system translations so have set one up here.
The problem when one has several glossaries is you end up not knowing where to put words sometimes. On the other hand,it can save time when the glossary is more compact and can be printed on a few pages.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
On paper mostly Jul 24, 2004

When I find a term that is not in the dictionary I use I write it into the margin, where I will find it later. Ongoing work glossaries I scribble on a note-block in front of me. I once started a real e-glossary for use with CAT but I noticed that most of the time I remember those terms anyway. For one firm, which produces lots of electronic equipment, I translate the package texts. I have all former translations in one file, to which I add the most recent files up and then. When I encounter a wo... See more
When I find a term that is not in the dictionary I use I write it into the margin, where I will find it later. Ongoing work glossaries I scribble on a note-block in front of me. I once started a real e-glossary for use with CAT but I noticed that most of the time I remember those terms anyway. For one firm, which produces lots of electronic equipment, I translate the package texts. I have all former translations in one file, to which I add the most recent files up and then. When I encounter a word that sounds familiar but I do not remember how I translated it earlier I load the file and search the term in Word.

Really I'm looking forward for the promised Google tool for searching your hard-disc. That would help a lot sometimes.
But most of my work is so variant that I never encounter the new terms again later. But when I do I leaf through my notes.

(Confessions of a not very tidy translator)
Collapse

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:02
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 25, 2004

Thought I was getting a bit friendless with the lack of responses

Thanks for posting.

I'm increasingly using Proz glossaries - particularly as an aide mémoire when I find scraps of vocab in various obscure corners of the Internet. I wonder if there's a tool to download your own glossaries into tab-delimited text format from Proz. This would be abused if available for all glossaries, of course, but for ju
... See more

Thanks for posting.

I'm increasingly using Proz glossaries - particularly as an aide mémoire when I find scraps of vocab in various obscure corners of the Internet. I wonder if there's a tool to download your own glossaries into tab-delimited text format from Proz. This would be abused if available for all glossaries, of course, but for just your own would be handy.

Having participated in the recent Translator Group Buy for Trados/Multiterm, I'm in the process of transferring my existing Excel/txt glossaries into Multiterm format, and setting up MT glossaries for broad subject areas (all of which takes time - which is in very short supply).

Every time I find a PDF glossary on the web, I download it and put it into a relevant file structure on my hard drive. Adobe Reader 6 has a good search tool to look up vocab across all PDF files on your system.
Collapse

Steve Melling
Steve Melling  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Tightening up glossaries Jul 25, 2004

Jeremy Smith wrote:

Thanks for posting.

I\\\\\\\'m increasingly using Proz glossaries - particularly as an aide mémoire when I find scraps of vocab in various obscure corners of the Internet. I wonder if there\\\\\\\'s a tool to download your own glossaries into tab-delimited text format from Proz. This would be abused if available for all glossaries, of course, but for just your own would be handy.

Having participated in the recent Translator Group Buy for Trados/Multiterm, I\\\\\\\'m in the process of transferring my existing Excel/txt glossaries into Multiterm format, and setting up MT glossaries for broad subject areas (all of which takes time - which is in very short supply).

Every time I find a PDF glossary on the web, I download it and put it into a relevant file structure on my hard drive. Adobe Reader 6 has a good search tool to look up vocab across all PDF files on your system.

Hi, have spent this weekend going through my glossaries, in an attempt to follow my own advice (!) ie honing them down, getting a tighter main list.What is more annoying than coming up against the same old words which always slow you down?! So, my aim is to work with a shortish glossary of terms which I always consult first off before actually going near a dictionary.If it\\\'s not in the list but is in a second, more detailed glossary, I \\\'ll then add it to the shorter one.If its nowhere to be found in terms of my own database, I\\\'ll then go the dictionaries or do a Google.

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Customer-based glossaries Jul 26, 2004

Hi Jeremy,
I'm one of those who didn't see your thread in the first place...
When I started translation, I used a terminology management software called Termbase where I put everything since it used a "subject" field that enabled me to sort the base easily. I could search for terms or extract any subject or group of subjects to an rtf file for instance.
I have switched to Trados and Multiterm for a couple of years so I've decided to split my base into different files for each o
... See more
Hi Jeremy,
I'm one of those who didn't see your thread in the first place...
When I started translation, I used a terminology management software called Termbase where I put everything since it used a "subject" field that enabled me to sort the base easily. I could search for terms or extract any subject or group of subjects to an rtf file for instance.
I have switched to Trados and Multiterm for a couple of years so I've decided to split my base into different files for each of my main customers because even in the same area I sometimes have different translations for the same term according to the customers. Multiterm's "projects" allow me to search several bases simultaneously so I group related customer files when I need to find a term on a specific area (e.g. electronics).
When I look for terms that are not in my paper dictionaries I write everything on paper and I start a Multiterm base only if there's a large enough number of terms AND the customer sends me more work. If not, I just store the paper in the corresponding subject folder - it might be useful sometime

Hope this helps you!
Regards
Marie-Céline GEORG
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you organise your glossaries?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »