Adobe InDesign and file formats
Thread poster: Andrzej Mierzejewski

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:51
Polish to English
+ ...
May 19, 2004

I've received a CD-ROM with - as my customer says - a complete advertising brochure made in InDesign: text, illustrations, etc. Just yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest InDesign CS trial version straight from Adobe site. And my computer sees nothing more than EPS files which are photographs, and several TIFF files with graphic background. I can not detect any file which would contain text.
(My customer - a branch of an international company - has not InDesign installed in their computers, they received the CD from another branch).

I suspect that text files were lost before burning the CD, but I'm not sure about it. Maybe my computer is "partly blind"? I will appreciate any assistance with regard to a content of a complete document in InDesign. What file formats should my computer see to make me happy?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Missing file extensions May 19, 2004

One of the favorite troublemakers: Mac & PC. Most graphics designers work on a Mac. Most translators work on a PC. When burning the CD-ROMs for PC, Mac users tend to forget to add the PC file extensions. (That's a check box in the conversion software.) Check for extensionless files and append the IND extension to any file large enough to be an InDesign publication...

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem anymore! May 19, 2004

My customer really lost some files. After receiving them everything is perfect.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe InDesign and file formats

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs