Translating difficulties with educational systems
Thread poster: jmd1983
jmd1983
Netherlands
Local time: 14:54
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 24, 2004

As I was trying a sample translation from English to Dutch I came across some problems. I am relatively new to the translating business so I do apologise in advance for asking stupid questions.

I was translating part of a brochure for an English private school. How do you translate Year 9, GCSE, A levels and other similar terms? The Dutch system is so different. Even the grading (we use a scale of 1-10)! How do I translate grades? Can anyone give me some advice?

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Post May 24, 2004

Post it in the Kudoz questions (ask question) and I'm sure you will get much help.

Educational systems and equivalents vary quite a bit from country to country, that is one thing we quickly learn.

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:54
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
First of all, welcome! May 24, 2004

Sometimes there are no equivalents. Therefore, in those cases, you could leave the English term and explain it in Dutch.

These links may help:
www.dfes.gov.uk
www.universitiesuk.ac.uk
www.universities-scotland.ac.uk
www.hew.ac.uk
www.aut.org.uk
www.ucas.ac.uk

But do follow Henry's piece of advice as well!

Good luck!
Andrea

davidgreen
German to English
you've already got some good advice May 24, 2004

I'd just like to add, as someone said above, that there are often no "real" translations for diplomas/school systems etc. Case in point, in Los Angeles there's a company specializing in "officially" comparing a degree from a given US university or high school with one of a foreign university or high school etc.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Who is going to be reading the text? May 24, 2004

I think that the decision of how much to 'adapt' an educational system depends on who is going to be reading your text, and what the purpose of the text is. If, for example, the point is to explain the British system then obviously you don't use Dutch equivalents.

Another approach is to work from the general to the particular; most educational systemas have three tiers - first level, second level and third level (and post-graduate)- and the age ranges are very similiar in most EU countries - 3/4/5-12, 12-18, 18-21/22. You can work around that and choose transparent language, as a sort of intermediate solution. E.G, in Spain they have a two-tiered secondary system, which is called ESO and BUP (these terms are in fact no longer used, but I forget the new ones!) but basically the only difference is that the former can be classified as 'mandatory secondary education' and the latter as 'non-mandatory ....'.

In your case, a brochure for a school, it seems logical to retain the English terms (so the parents and kids know what A level is when it has to be sat!), yet the reader is going to be a Dutch concerned parent (or pupil) who will want to be able to compare to the system they are familiar with. So it looks like you wiull have to explain a lot, maybe even consider an introductory or final note to summarise the system, if you think glosses are going to clutter the text.

HTH:-)

[Edited at 2004-05-24 18:47]

jmd1983
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all very much for your help. May 24, 2004

I still find it difficult to translate these terms or figure out how to explain them. This is a sample translation of only a few lines and I wouldn't feel comfortable sending them back a translation of a few pages

I think I need more practice before accepting a job. I will keep trying!

Joanie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating difficulties with educational systems

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs