".doc" formatting of translation
Thread poster: olob
olob
olob
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2004

I have a prospective translation project. I was asked to translate a sample and send it back to them in ".doc" format. I sent the text (done on Word) back to them as an e-mail attachment (I thought that that was a ".doc" format). They sent an e-mail back requesting the sample in ".doc" format. What do I do? What is ".doc" format?

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
As far as I know Jun 17, 2004

Word makes .doc documents.
If you want you can write to me and send me your .doc, I'll tell you what I see (.doc or not)

Claudia

[Edited at 2004-06-17 04:07]

Julia Gal
Julia Gal  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:39
French to English
+ ...
It may have been in .rtf format Jun 17, 2004

Depending on the settings in place on your computer, you may have saved it as a .rtf (rich text format) file.

When you go to "save as" in Word, type the file name and make sure you select the correct file type in the drop-down menu underneath.

If you are working on a Mac, you need to make sure you choose the "word for windows" format, unless you know the customer uses Macintosh.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Maybe you forgot... Jun 17, 2004

...to close the Doc in Word before attaching it.

My 2 cents

Toledo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
MS Word Jun 17, 2004

olob wrote:
I was asked to translate a sample and send it back to them in ".doc" format.

If I wanted this job, I would have saved it in MS Word native format. If I didn't really want the job, I would have saved it as plaintext and then changed the file extension to ".doc". Asking for a document in ".doc" format is silly, really. You might as well ask for a web page in .rob format. The file extension does not determine the format, and any agency that thinks this is truly ignorant of the way computers work.

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
it could be your email provider or program Jun 17, 2004

I have noticed that some email providers such as AOL, and certain email programs change the extensions of the attachments, or part of the information gets "lost in the mail". If I know this happens when sending email to a specific person or company (I used to have this problem sending attachments to my brother) then I make them into a zip file first. Let them know it is a .zip file and to change the extension when they receive it if it isn't what they get. Best of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

".doc" formatting of translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »