Passport Translation - Immigration
Thread poster: Mary Quinn
Mary Quinn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:54
French to English
+ ...
Jun 29, 2004

I'm working on the translation of some passport pages, most of which are multilingual (including English translation)in the original. My question is: "Is there a standard format for doing this type of translation for immigration purposes?" I believe the 2 options are to a) place translator's note stating the most info is already provided in English in original with translations of only untranslated matter (I'm not sure if this is an acceptable approach) or b) to recopy most English matter as it appears in original along with translations where necessary to create a seamless look for the translation. Any input would be appreciated. I would also like to know if there are any resources specifying translation techniques, preferred format for docs to be used for immigration. Also references dealing with certifying and notarizing such translations.

Direct link Reply with quote

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:54
English to Russian
+ ...
some input Jun 29, 2004

My understanding (I mean it should not be any big difference between the US and Canadian immigration officials) - the translated documents (parts) are to be clear/understandable for any reader (ie any case officer).
(I do official document translations for government of Canada - but they have a different approach there).

I beleive the best way, - as i always do -to advise clients (before submitting their papers for translation) - to find out with the body, where they plan to submit their documents (and translations), what relevant requirements those bodies have. And i strongly believe that clients are to do that, not you. Then you simply follow those requirements.

Sometimes I do document translations which then go to INS, and, despite the fact, that I am Canadian, my work (and my certification letters) has never ever been rejected.
From you profile I have got an understanding that you have ATA confirmation for French-English pair; so consider that your Spanish-English or Spanish-French document translation can be questioned...

Was my input of any help? Hope so.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passport Translation - Immigration

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs