Translation Techniques methods procedures
wissemt
Algeria
Local time: 22:38
French to English
+ ...
May 28, 2012

Hi All,

According to you, what is the difference between a translation method, technique and procedure?

Do you think that there are specific translation method, technique or procedure for specific text types?

Can we we speak about the existence of informative and expressive texts in the narrative discourse?

Thanks for your participation with comments, titles, links and sources.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:38
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Hello May 28, 2012

What is the background of this question at all?

wissemt
Algeria
Local time: 22:38
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation techniques methods procedures May 28, 2012

It's about a research project in Translation Studies seeking to see whether there are specific translation procedures for specific types of texts ( expressive and informative texts as a case study)

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
English to German
+ ...
As long as you are not dealing with cryptography or extraterrestrial signals- no, there isn't. May 29, 2012

wissemt wrote:

It's about a research project in Translation Studies seeking to see whether there are specific translation procedures for specific types of texts ( expressive and informative texts as a case study)

Translation means to allow people speaking language A to communicate with people speaking language B. It's all about human beings, and there are no algorithms to be deciphered and there is no abstract or systematic approach involved.

Can you give us an example of how any such translation method might be superior to brains, intelligence, insight, understanding, research, etc.?

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Translation procedure May 29, 2012

My translation procedure consists of four steps:
Read the source text.
Understand the meaning.
Find the right words, expressions etc. in the target language.
Write the target text.

That is the shortest description possible. The procedure remains the same for all text types.

xxxchristela
Comments May 29, 2012

wissemt wrote:

Hi All,

According to you, what is the difference between a translation method, technique and procedure?

As Andrzej says, four steps, but there is also a fifth step, checking and proofreading the translation. But translation always stays practical, I think most translators hate the theories which are behind it.

Do you think that there are specific translation method, technique or procedure for specific text types?

My approach slightly differs between technical/legal texts and litterature to which also belong marketing texts and advertising. For technical/legal texts I begin by the beginning and stay close to the source text, all information has to be translated into the target text. For the other texts, I feel free to adapt my translation to the target group, can replace an expression by another or combine sentences and information, the main goal here is communication. Sometimes both types occur in the same file: an informative part and a selling part for instance (our product contains: followed by: you absolutely should buy it, marketing blah blah).

Can we we speak about the existence of informative and expressive texts in the narrative discourse?

I don't know what you mean?
[/quote]

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Check and proofread May 29, 2012

christela wrote:
As Andrzej says, four steps, but there is also a fifth step, checking and proofreading the translation. But translation always stays practical, I think most translators hate the theories which are behind it.

I haven't listed 'check and proofread' as a separate step because I include them in the 'write' step.

I don't think of translation theories. The two all-important prerequisites for a good translation are:
understand the source text;
know the right equivalent for each word or expression - whichever is more important in the given context.

Regards

AM

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:38
Chinese to English
If your instructor likes Newmark May 29, 2012

Then say what Newmark says. Instant high marks.

lookatme
Translation procedure May 31, 2012

I suppose, that just reading, understanding the meaning and finding right words is not enough for a good translation . The essential part is analysing of the source language text, in purpose to define its style. It helps to choose the right method of translation (Word-for-word tr., literal, semantic, free translation etc.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]
Donatella Cifola[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Techniques methods procedures

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2014 Starter Edition
Translation software for only €99 per year

The Starter Edition is an affordable but scaled down version of the industry’s leading translation software, SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance. It enables translators to join the largest supply chain at a reduced price.

More info »