Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Into how many languages can you successfully translate?
Thread poster: LilianNekipelov
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:54
Chinese to English
Just numerically... Aug 2, 2012

The languages where you can be sure of getting native translators are the core western European languages. Big pairs, to be sure, but so are Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Indian languages, (and Hebrew!) etc., and in these languages you're much less likely to be able to guarantee a target native translator. Numerically - I would estimate that in at least half the world's market is in "exotics" where competent English-native linguists can't easily be found.

I agree that target-native is
... See more
The languages where you can be sure of getting native translators are the core western European languages. Big pairs, to be sure, but so are Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Indian languages, (and Hebrew!) etc., and in these languages you're much less likely to be able to guarantee a target native translator. Numerically - I would estimate that in at least half the world's market is in "exotics" where competent English-native linguists can't easily be found.

I agree that target-native is the ideal. But we should also be aware that it's an unreachable ideal in many cases. You often have to make a trade-off: do you want source language knowledge or target language knowledge? Long translation experience or subject expertise?

So, yes, the ideal translator is a target native, with in depth knowledge of the source and the subject matter. But just defining that ideal is not enough in many cases. We have to think about what the best second choice is.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One! Aug 2, 2012

If you really take your work seriously, translating into one language is always challenging; being careful --in every sense of the word-- will mean success in the long run.

Personally I don't believe in translation into more than one language, but that is just an opinion.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:54
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course the source language knowledge is, maybe even more, Aug 2, 2012

important than the style in the target language. If the translator does not understand the original text, why should he or she be translating it at all. He may just as well write his own paper on the subject or a poem.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Just the one style? Aug 2, 2012

LilianBoland wrote:

I am just wondering sometimes, what people do not to mix up all those languages and keep a perfect style.

One of the commonest delusions, or rather erroneous assumptions that people make particularly when translating into a non-native language, is that the styles that sound natural in the source language will also work in comparable contexts in the target language.

Styles are cultural constructs and stylistic expectations vary, even - I am tempted to say especially - between closely related languages. What sounds exactly right in one may clunk, grate or curl toes when transposed into another.

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe some people have those delusions but Aug 2, 2012

professional translators with years of relevant education don't. Some people have also delusions that if their father or mother spoke their L1, and they have high school education in that language they can translate medical trials materials, pleadings and dissertations. All some people have to offer is their native language when applying for various translation jobs -- this is why they insist that you have to be born in England to translate into English, many of those people don't mention their ... See more
professional translators with years of relevant education don't. Some people have also delusions that if their father or mother spoke their L1, and they have high school education in that language they can translate medical trials materials, pleadings and dissertations. All some people have to offer is their native language when applying for various translation jobs -- this is why they insist that you have to be born in England to translate into English, many of those people don't mention their education, if you have noticed, in some other threads. Their native language is the only asset some may have -- this is why they have been protecting it with so much passion verging on hatred of other people.

[Edited at 2012-08-02 13:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-02 13:36 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:54
Hebrew to English
Erm... Aug 2, 2012

LilianBoland wrote:
professional translators with years of relevant education don't.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Some people have also delusions that if their father or mother spoke their L1, and they have high school education in that language they can translate medical trials materials, pleadings and dissertations. All some people have to offer is their native language when applying for various translation jobs -- this is why they insist that you have to be born in England to translate into English, many of those people don't mention their education, if you have noticed, in some other threads. Their native language is the only asset some may have -- this is why they have been protecting it with so much passion verging on hatred of other people.

Wrong thread - it's O/T here to be pushing that agenda.

Natalie Schaettle
Natalie Schaettle  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
translating from more than 1 languages Aug 2, 2012

Hello,

I am fairly new to the translation industry. I am a German native speaker. I love translating and just qualified (pair: English into German). I also do speak and write French, Spanish and Italian fluently I am more than capable of understanding just about any type of writing in those languages and translating the meaning into my mother tongue.

I dont know how to "evaluate" myself. Is it fairly normal to be able to translate (maybe not absolutely immaculately) fro
... See more
Hello,

I am fairly new to the translation industry. I am a German native speaker. I love translating and just qualified (pair: English into German). I also do speak and write French, Spanish and Italian fluently I am more than capable of understanding just about any type of writing in those languages and translating the meaning into my mother tongue.

I dont know how to "evaluate" myself. Is it fairly normal to be able to translate (maybe not absolutely immaculately) from 4 different foreign languages into your native tongue? I do like to provide a quality service though.

Should I only ever be translating what language pair I am qualified for?
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Protectionist, moi? Aug 2, 2012

LilianBoland wrote:

this is why they have been protecting it with so much passion verging on hatred of other people.

Be fair, Lilian.

You were the "protectionist" who said that a university education was a sine qua non for a translator!

To get back on topic, the more languages, both classical and modern, that you translate from, into and between, particularly when you are young, the better a translator you are likely to become.

[Edited at 2012-08-02 14:20 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Nisch. Aug 2, 2012

I think it is not that hard to translate from four languages, if you know them well, although I personally translate mostly from two, but I think it is possible. It is less common to translate into four languages. I do translate certain things from two other languages, but nothing related to business or law.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Into how many languages can you successfully translate?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »