Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:17
English to French
+ ...
Jul 27, 2004

Hi,

I am no longer a translator, and I am now in charge of multilingual activities for a large organization.

I think that CMS have become so important now, that they deserve a forum of their own.

For those who don't know yet: a CMS (Content management system) is basically a website, but with automatic features (like registering users in a database, calendaring...).

For those who know it all: it is a obvious that one of the main preoccupations
... See more
Hi,

I am no longer a translator, and I am now in charge of multilingual activities for a large organization.

I think that CMS have become so important now, that they deserve a forum of their own.

For those who don't know yet: a CMS (Content management system) is basically a website, but with automatic features (like registering users in a database, calendaring...).

For those who know it all: it is a obvious that one of the main preoccupations of users is choosing the right CMS, because there are so many of them. We have to discuss that from our own point of view: the management of linguistic versions of contents.

Most translators will have to deal with CMS in the coming years, probably. I think that would be useful for everybody.
Collapse

ckatsidonis
ckatsidonis  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Multilingual CMS Aug 23, 2004

Salut Arnaud,

I can see that this topic doesn’t seem to attract a lot of attention. It’s a pity.

I discovered the CMS world only a few months ago and I have tried quite a few.

The main problem, as I would like to implement some multilingual portals, is that the support of foreign languages of all open source CMS (only tried those) is quite limited. I suppose that the commercial products implement it better but I am not even sure of that.

... See more
Salut Arnaud,

I can see that this topic doesn’t seem to attract a lot of attention. It’s a pity.

I discovered the CMS world only a few months ago and I have tried quite a few.

The main problem, as I would like to implement some multilingual portals, is that the support of foreign languages of all open source CMS (only tried those) is quite limited. I suppose that the commercial products implement it better but I am not even sure of that.

I started with Php-Nuke but there is a big security issue with it (hackers actually “deface”, as they say, the websites and then post their “achievements” on certain hacker-specific sites!), Xoops, SPIP (nice but not very customizable) and at the moment have settled on Typo3, which is more complex that the others but offers a great flexibility. Multilingual site support is quite tricky though: but Kasper, the developer, is just starting to implement it.

From a translation/localization point of view, I guess, the way to go is to learn a little bit of PHP to know what to localize because I don’t think there is any software out there that can help localizing PHP source files.

Anyway, any good multilingual CMS you could recommend? Which one are you working on?

Regards,

Polymathe

[Edited at 2004-08-23 13:32]
Collapse

ArabInk
ArabInk
Local time: 03:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
OpenCMS Sep 22, 2004

Polymathe wrote:
...snip
Anyway, any good multilingual CMS you could recommend? Which one are you working on?
...snip
[Edited at 2004-08-23 13:32]

You might take a look at http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/

They claim to have full unicode support at least. I've only used it a little bit, in English.

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing to say in this field but the system compells me to Oct 7, 2004

Hi,

I have decided not to continue on this thread personnally, because a discussion about various CMS on Proz would only make sense imho if we concentrated on Internationalization features.

For the rest there are so many resources available on the web, that it seems to me useless discussing here about general aspects of CMS.

I'll keep watching, and participate if internationalization is mentionned.

[Edited at 2004-10-12 00:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about a forum on multilingual CMS?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »