Mobile menu

Help on excel functions
Thread poster: Maurizio Valente

Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 16, 2004

I hope that some expert of Excel functions can help me to understand how the Excel HYPERLINK function works (in this context):

=COLLEG.IPERTESTUALE('Set CD-ROM Drive Letter'!$A$2&'English Samples'!B173&"\"&'English Samples'!C173;"Play File")

If you have the English version of Excel, I guess you would read:

=HYPERLINK('Set CD-ROM Drive Letter'!$A$2&'English Samples'!B173&"\"&'English Samples'!C173;"Play File")

This is supposed to play a wav file automatically, ie when you click on cell A3 you should listen the file in cell C3. (I get an error message instead; in English it should sound as "Can't open the specified file", or something like that)

The excel file contains 2 sheets.

This function is in cell A173 of the 1st sheet, named English Samples. The cell is named Play File (it is underlined and blue).
Cell C173 in the same sheet contains the wav file name.
The file contains another sheet named CD-ROM Drive Letter. I was instructed to insert the path for wav files (and excel file) in cell A2 here. This folder contains all wav files and the excel file.

Please help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:14
German to Spanish
If I understand ... Aug 16, 2004

You just need to replace in the formula C173 'Set CD-ROM Drive Letter' with the Letter that your CD-ROM use (D, E, F, etc.), or the letter of the partition where the waves files are.

A173 just make a refeence (!) to C173

Regards

Maurizio Valente wrote:

=COLLEG.IPERTESTUALE('Set CD-ROM Drive Letter'!$A$2&'English Samples'!B173&""&'English Samples'!C173;"Play File")

The file contains another sheet named CD-ROM Drive Letter. I was instructed to insert the path for wav files (and excel file) in cell A2 here. This folder contains all wav files and the excel file.

Please help!

[Edited at 2004-08-16 13:24]

[Edited at 2004-08-16 13:32]

[Edited at 2004-08-16 13:48]

[Edited at 2004-08-16 13:51]

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
I guess the WAV file is missing or missplaced Aug 16, 2004

Hi Maurizio,

I am not an expert but maybe some early morning rumination may help you (8am, rainy morning in La Plata, Argentina)

I guess the hiperlink will tell the program to go to page "play file" and to get there the file name and path, and then to follow that path and to find the file and to execute it.

So the file to be executed should be OUTSIDE Excel, in the location indicated by the path to be found in the page "play file".

If you don't have the indicated WAV file in the indicated location your system will tell you that it can not execute it, and you will have no defect in the Excel file itself.

Hope it helps,
Enrique Cavalitto

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps my explanation was not clear... Aug 16, 2004

Dear all,
some further clarifications:

1) No CD is involved. F: is a partition on the 1st hard disk.

2) The partition folder F:(backslash character)English Samples contains all wav files and the single excel file.

3) Please read the sentence:
This is supposed to play a wav file automatically, ie when you click on cell A3 you should listen the file in cell C3.
as:
This is supposed to play a wav file automatically, ie when you click on cell A3 you should listen the file *** whose name is quoted *** in cell C3.
Obviously, the wav file is not in excel, but outside it.

[Edited at 2004-08-16 11:40]

[Edited at 2004-08-16 11:41]

[Edited at 2004-08-16 11:41]

[Edited at 2004-08-16 11:42]

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Looks like an easy thing Aug 16, 2004

I put something like that into A1 cell

=HYPERLINK("C:\astro.wav"|"Astro_Example")

And had an astro.wav file in the root directory of a C: drive.
Then you can click 'Astro_example' and it is played.

The name of a file in your example (a string before a '|') is a bit crazy. After a '|' is what gets displayed.

This is supposed to play a wav file automatically, ie when you click on cell A3 you should listen the file in cell C3

Then you should use

=HYPERLINK($C$3|"Play a file, a C3 cell contains a name of")

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
A backslash did not make it to my answer Aug 16, 2004

It is
C colon backslash
there

[Edited at 2004-08-16 12:08]

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Aug 18, 2004

Many thanks to you all.

I tried all yr suggestions but it simply doesn't work.

I don't know why. I gave up.

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another idea Aug 20, 2004

Hi Maurizio,

A lasr idea, just in case you still have the file with you.

I realized just now that the error message does not say "couldn't find the specified file" but "couldn't open the specified file". A failure to find the file would be indicative of an error in the path and other atributes of the function.

Now the system tell you it can not OPEN the file. If you go to the proper directory and you double-click the file's name, does it open? If not, then the problem is not related to your file.

Regards,
Enrique

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it does Aug 20, 2004

If I go to the proper directory and double-click the file's name, yes, it opens with Windows Media Player. Maybe Excel expects wav files are associated with another application? If yes, which one?

Thank you for your suggestion

two2tango wrote:

Hi Maurizio,

A lasr idea, just in case you still have the file with you.

I realized just now that the error message does not say "couldn't find the specified file" but "couldn't open the specified file". A failure to find the file would be indicative of an error in the path and other atributes of the function.

Now the system tell you it can not OPEN the file. If you go to the proper directory and you double-click the file's name, does it open? If not, then the problem is not related to your file.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help on excel functions

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs