Mobile menu

descriptive grades
Thread poster: iwoniak
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2004

Thank you for your replies and interest.
Sorry for starting almost the same topic (I know it's against the rules in proZ) but I think I wasn't clear enough. I'm trying to translate a student's credit book from Polish into English and the grades in the original document are descriptive, like: excelent, very good, good, fail etc. Is there any descriptive system in USA? Or I can just use this A, B, C... F system?

Direct link Reply with quote
United States
Local time: 11:21
French to English
+ ...
HTH Oct 16, 2004

A = 4.00 (Excellent)
A- = 3.70
B+ = 3.30 (Good)
B = 3.00
B- = 2.70 (Satisfactory)
C+ = 2.30
C = 2.00 (Poor)
C- = 1.70
F = 0.00 (Failing) P* = Passing
WD* = Withdrawn
F* = Failing (pass/fail)
Inc* = Incomplete

[Edited at 2004-10-16 01:35]

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keep it descriptive Oct 16, 2004

I would recommend keeping the grades descriptive as they are and letting the evaluators do their job. They should be used to interpreting them, and it is our job to only translate them literally into the other language, but not to interpret them for another system.

In addition, as I pointed out in my reply to your previous posting, grading systems are not uniform in the USA.

Dorota Cooper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Polish grades Feb 8, 2005

Hi iwoniak,
I am a Polish student in the UK and I always present my Polish grades in the descriptive format, eg.:
English - 6 [EXCELLENT]
Polish - 4 [GOOD]
This way, you leave the comparison to the institution where the grades will be submitted - as others have already said, the grading systems vary from on university to another. If you try to convert the grades yourself, you are risking that the conversion will be wrong for this particular university/state.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

descriptive grades

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs