Spanish> English Sports Translation - Tips please?
Thread poster: Maria Lorenzo

Maria Lorenzo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2004

Hi!

I just got a test translation from an agency, the only thing is that it is about football for a sports website. I find the terminology and the journalistic style a bit hard to transfer into Spanish.

I was wondering, does anybody have any good tips for doing these kinds of translations?

Any tips highly appreciated!
Cheers,
Maria

Direct link Reply with quote

Sébastien Cantineau
Belgium
Spanish to French
+ ...
Oct 28, 2004

[Edited at 2004-11-07 16:44]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Immersion Oct 28, 2004

Maria Lorenzo wrote:

Hi!

I just got a test translation from an agency, the only thing is that it is about football for a sports website. I find the terminology and the journalistic style a bit hard to transfer into Spanish.

I was wondering, does anybody have any good tips for doing these kinds of translations?

Any tips highly appreciated!
Cheers,
Maria

What I would do is buy/find a bunch of Marcas or daily newspapers with sports sections, and immerse myself in the style. That was the approach I took (ES-EN) for stock market reports and macroeconomic reports, where the language of the domain is very particular.

You could do the same with websites (maybe you can't get hold of Marca:-). Obviously, it would be better to select newspapers/websites that are 'comparable' to the one you are translating (target readership).

Mark/record all the terminology and expressions (idioms, descriptive verbs, adjectives ect) that strike you as suitably vibrant/dynamic.

HTH:-)

Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
A useful link Oct 28, 2004

Ailish's advice is great (and I'll keep it in mind for future challenging projects myself, thanks Ailish!).

I think you'll find this link rather helpful too:
http://www.elcastellano.org/deportes.html

Saludos,
Atenea

mystymy
Local time: 08:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
football clues Oct 28, 2004

I do quite of bit of football translation. You do need to read up on the style of the journalists. The previous post was a good suggestion. I am an avid fan, so I constantly follow the wires and papers. Eventually you get a feel for it.

But if sports is not your focus, why would the agency test on that?
-m-

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
tahnks Athenea:-( Oct 28, 2004

Atenea Acevedo wrote:

Ailish's advice is great (and I'll keep it in mind for future challenging projects myself, thanks Ailish!).

I think you'll find this link rather helpful too:
http://www.elcastellano.org/deportes.html

Saludos,
Atenea

Thanks Athenea:-)

Just to add that in some fields - and journalism is one of them - you really have to have a feel of target language to convey the dynamism of the original, i.e. while remaining faithful to the source, you choose languange (e.g. peak instead of simply go up to, for subir, llegar a, etc ) appropriate to the target domain.....

James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:47
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Listen to the radio Oct 29, 2004

Hi Maria,

Just one more thing to add to the sound advice you've had so far. If you're thinking about moving into this area you could also try listening to radio coverage of Spanish matches to brush up your knowledge. Marca has its own radio station which you can pick up on the internet. I'm not sure whether La Cope and Cadena Ser (the best two stations for football coverage) offer the same kind of service - check their websites. They tend to have lots of chat, analysis and adverts during games which can be annoying if you're used to UK radio coverage where they concentrate entirely on the match.
If you're stuck with any tricky terms, don't forget to post a question on Kudoz. I'd be delighted to help as I'm sure many others would.

Aupa Depor.

James

Maria Lorenzo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a million everybody!! Oct 29, 2004

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to say a BIG THANKS for all the great advices you have all given me. I will take them all on board.

Cheers,
Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish> English Sports Translation - Tips please?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs