Thread poster: Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 22:13
German to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2004

Apologies if this has been covered before. I have been doing some PR texts about a multimedia terminal, which includes a television with Teletext, and can have a PlayStation connected to it. These are both registered trademarks, and I feel that my translation should contain the necessary trademark acknowledgements - I feel this a professional responsibility. My client is far more ambivalent - the terms are not marked as Trademarks in the German original, and I have asked whether this might be pr... See more
Apologies if this has been covered before. I have been doing some PR texts about a multimedia terminal, which includes a television with Teletext, and can have a PlayStation connected to it. These are both registered trademarks, and I feel that my translation should contain the necessary trademark acknowledgements - I feel this a professional responsibility. My client is far more ambivalent - the terms are not marked as Trademarks in the German original, and I have asked whether this might be prudent in future. What is anyone else's take on this issue. I am considering building in an extra clause in my terms and conditions to ensure that no fault can be laid at my door if there is an objection...Collapse

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:13
English
Add a Footnote Nov 12, 2004

I have seen literature in the UK which includes a footnote at the bottom of the page stating that "ProductX® is a registered trademark of Company Y Inc."

However, if after having queried the client and they do not wish to include this, I cannot see how this could be held as your resposibility. This is something that the client's legal department should be reponsible for.

Leonid Gornik
Leonid Gornik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:13
Russian to English
+ ...
R and TM are for registered industrial property items Jan 5, 2005

R means that this is a trademark, a service mark or another item of industrial property (like appelletion of origin) that has been registered.
TM means a registered trademark.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(R) and TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »