Mobile menu

How to handle terms that can not be translated?
Thread poster: Ian McAllister
Ian McAllister
Spanish to English
Sep 18, 2001

The Scottish language has a word \"scunner\" which is difficult to define, but partly means \"to take a loathing to\". As far as I know there is no english equivalent word.

If I know the meaning of an original word, but there is no equivalent meaning in English, can I put the original word in italics, to show that it is not english, then put the meaning in brackets?

Or is there another way to handle the problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Camara
United States
Local time: 22:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translation Workplace Oct 3, 2001

Ian, I have never encountered that problem, yet it occurs to me that maybe a translator\'s note could be the solution.

What do you think?

xxxRaist
English to Spanish
Try "Note of the Translator" or " i.e." Oct 3, 2001

Hi, if you use the term in italics I think you should not give the meaning or explanation in brackets. I prefer \"scunner\", i.e. to take a loathing to, or just adding a note or reference explaining the meaning.

Carlos.

Ian McAllister
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Another example Oct 4, 2001

Thanks for your suggestions. Another example is the Paraguayan spanish term \"la yapa\" which is translated to english as \"lagniappe\".

The only problem is that only very large english dictionaries include the word, so nobody knows what the translation means!

Ardoff
English to Russian
'lagniappe' - international meaning Aug 7, 2008

There is an international, quite well known equivalent for 'lagniappe' - 'backsheesh', that has Arabic origin.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to handle terms that can not be translated?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs