Mobile menu

How to handle terms that can not be translated?
Thread poster: Ian McAllister
Ian McAllister
Spanish to English
Sep 18, 2001

The Scottish language has a word \"scunner\" which is difficult to define, but partly means \"to take a loathing to\". As far as I know there is no english equivalent word.

If I know the meaning of an original word, but there is no equivalent meaning in English, can I put the original word in italics, to show that it is not english, then put the meaning in brackets?

Or is there another way to handle the problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Camara
United States
Local time: 02:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translation Workplace Oct 3, 2001

Ian, I have never encountered that problem, yet it occurs to me that maybe a translator\'s note could be the solution.

What do you think?

xxxRaist
English to Spanish
Try "Note of the Translator" or " i.e." Oct 3, 2001

Hi, if you use the term in italics I think you should not give the meaning or explanation in brackets. I prefer \"scunner\", i.e. to take a loathing to, or just adding a note or reference explaining the meaning.

Carlos.

Ian McAllister
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Another example Oct 4, 2001

Thanks for your suggestions. Another example is the Paraguayan spanish term \"la yapa\" which is translated to english as \"lagniappe\".

The only problem is that only very large english dictionaries include the word, so nobody knows what the translation means!

Ardoff
English to Russian
'lagniappe' - international meaning Aug 7, 2008

There is an international, quite well known equivalent for 'lagniappe' - 'backsheesh', that has Arabic origin.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to handle terms that can not be translated?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search