https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/28492-how_to_prepare_a_webshop.html

How to prepare a Webshop
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:02
German to Spanish
Jan 18, 2005

made with MySQL for translation?

Is there any specific tools?

Thks

Toledo

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:02
German to English
+ ...
Convert to Excel ? Jan 18, 2005

Convert the MySQL database to Excel (www.sharewareriver.com/product.php?id=1477)

Translate it, convert the spreadsheet to a tabbed text file which can be loaded into MySQL.

Just a suggestion - don't have Windows - never tried anything of the sort - in no way connected to Shareware River

I think, in essence, what I am trying to say, is that if
... See more
Convert the MySQL database to Excel (www.sharewareriver.com/product.php?id=1477)

Translate it, convert the spreadsheet to a tabbed text file which can be loaded into MySQL.

Just a suggestion - don't have Windows - never tried anything of the sort - in no way connected to Shareware River

I think, in essence, what I am trying to say, is that if you can convert the database to a tabbed text file before or after translation, you have it in a form which can be loaded back into MySQL. (Afraid I don't currently have MySQL loaded on Debian to play around with.)

[Edited at 2005-01-19 11:51]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
is excel the best way? Jan 20, 2005

..in which format can a MySQL database be exported?

Thks again

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 21:02
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
some well intended advice Jan 20, 2005

Toledo wrote:

Thks again

Don't get yourself trapped into software engineering. Just ask your client to send you a file that you The Translator can handle.

Wouter

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Right! but this is exactly my question Jan 20, 2005

titi@home wrote:

Toledo wrote:

Thks again

Don't get yourself trapped into software engineering. Just ask your client to send you a file that you The Translator can handle.

Wouter

What should do the Webmaster, not me, with the database? Which is the best solution for me as translator and for him as manager of the database?
Cause I have to translate but he must import my translation too.

So it is a common problem.
I have no intention to learn how to use MySQL for just a job

Rgds

Toledo

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Converting MySQL tables Jan 20, 2005

Besides the Shareware River MySQL to Excel converter, I also note there is Navicat which

“... is a MySQL database management and development tool, which can convert Excel spreadsheets, MS Access and other data formats to MySQL databases. ... “

http://www.tucows.com/preview/241282.html
http://www.navicat.com/

On Linux MySQL Admin, MySQL Control Centre, Rekall and OpenOffice are all tools which can work with MySQL. So before buying anything and depending on its size I would probably try displaying the database table in Rekall or OpenOffice and then copying and pasting it (as a whole) into a word-processor document in the hope that it became a table or tabbed list.

Rekall, I believe, is Linux only, and people generally have varying degrees of success connecting to MySQL from OpenOffice.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
MySQL - OpenOffice Jan 20, 2005

If you open a MySQL database in OpenOffice, there is a "Data to Text..." button which will convert the database table to a table in the document which can be converted to a tabbed list. How easy it would be working with a large database, I wouldn't like to say.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prepare a Webshop

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »