Journalism Translation
Thread poster: laurius93
laurius93
laurius93
Germany
Nov 21, 2015

Where can I find information and examples of Journalism Translation? Why is there no much information and it is so unpopular?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
No need for it Nov 23, 2015

There may not be much need for translation of journalism because every country has its own journalists and there is so much sharing of information worldwide via news agencies and via the internet. Over the years I have only had one or two requests for translation of newspaper or magazine articles by private clients who may have wanted to use or quote specific information that was not available in their own language. It would seem that there is enough need for it to make it a specialty.
... See more
There may not be much need for translation of journalism because every country has its own journalists and there is so much sharing of information worldwide via news agencies and via the internet. Over the years I have only had one or two requests for translation of newspaper or magazine articles by private clients who may have wanted to use or quote specific information that was not available in their own language. It would seem that there is enough need for it to make it a specialty.

[Edited at 2015-11-23 15:41 GMT]
Collapse

Robin Joensuu
Robin Joensuu  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
Both yes and no. Nov 23, 2015

It would seem that there is enough need for it to make it a specialty.

Well it might not be a very large market, but you can see it quite often at least in Swedish newspapers, but then it is usually a political editorial piece written by someone famous or in a leading position in the UN and what not.

More common, at least for Sweden, and I guess for other small languages, are documentary books.

Robin Joensuu
Robin Joensuu  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
An example Nov 23, 2015

laurius93 wrote:

Where can I find information and examples of Journalism Translation?

And as for this one, pick up a translated version of one of Günther Wallraff's books (one of your countrymen from the look of your profile). I have no proof, but I would not be surprised if he is one of the most translated journalists during the last fifty years or so. To "wallraff" is even used as a Swedish verb.

[Redigerad 2015-11-23 16:07 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Definition required Nov 23, 2015

laurius93 wrote:

Where can I find information and examples of Journalism Translation? Why is there no much information and it is so unpopular?

Please define what you mean by "journalism" and why you think it is "unpopular" - because I suspect that my own definition would be different from yours. I speak as an occasional journalist myself, and I do not find that my journalism is unpopular.

[Edited at 2015-11-23 16:32 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
Serbian to English
+ ...
at the risk of being told off Nov 24, 2015

for straying off the "we do only translations" beaten path, there is a real market in "press monitoring".

That includes a lot of reading of printed and web articles, and selecting the bits that are relevant to the client, and translating only these bits plus possibly including comments/explanations.

Just an idea if you want to combine translating and journalism ...

Sonoko Enami
Sonoko Enami  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:00
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
No clear borders Dec 2, 2015

As Tom said above, your definition of "journalism" may be different from mine.

I translate scientific papers in journals for scientists and also scientific articles in newspapers and magazines for the general readers. I do translations for both textile manufacturers and fashion magazines. Sure, styles and words used in them are different, but I've never felt I need any special training to deliver translations for these magazine articles.

If you are interested in one fie
... See more
As Tom said above, your definition of "journalism" may be different from mine.

I translate scientific papers in journals for scientists and also scientific articles in newspapers and magazines for the general readers. I do translations for both textile manufacturers and fashion magazines. Sure, styles and words used in them are different, but I've never felt I need any special training to deliver translations for these magazine articles.

If you are interested in one field you read all sorts of documents related to the field, which include journalistic texts. You will naturally learn what kinds of words and styles are used in them.

Sonoko
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Journalism Translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »