Charging fuzzy matches *before* seeing the text
Thread poster: annaba
annaba
annaba
Local time: 10:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 22, 2005

Dear collegues, I could not find this item in the forum, so I wonder if some of you already had the same problem and... a solution too!
Lots of clients ask for the translation's price without sending the file that has to be translated. I would like to provide a precise offer, also considering the fuzzy matches.
Do you know a way to estimate the fuzzy matches ?
I'm just talking about *estimating* as exactly as possible, on the basis of statistics and experience - i.e., for the
... See more
Dear collegues, I could not find this item in the forum, so I wonder if some of you already had the same problem and... a solution too!
Lots of clients ask for the translation's price without sending the file that has to be translated. I would like to provide a precise offer, also considering the fuzzy matches.
Do you know a way to estimate the fuzzy matches ?
I'm just talking about *estimating* as exactly as possible, on the basis of statistics and experience - i.e., for the first 100 words, 5 repetitions - for the first 1000 words 70 repetitions.... or similarly.
Perhaps you know a HP about this topic?
Thank You a lot!
Anna
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:08
English to German
+ ...
Workaround Feb 23, 2005

When I cannot see the files before quoting, I simply add to my quotation that it is unbinding until I will have analysed the files. No client ever had a problem with this, except in a few rare cases where someone tried to fool me...

nettranslatorde
nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
I'd give them a quote on a per word basis... Feb 23, 2005

Tell them what you would charge per word.
I fully agree with Harry: if they are honest, they won't have a problem with that. If not, you'd better stay away from them....

Good luck,
Kerstin

annaba
annaba
Local time: 10:08
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank You! Feb 23, 2005

Dear Harry and Kerstin,
thanks a lot for your posting!
I will go on searching if there are some statistics on this topic and will let you know.
Ciao!
Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging fuzzy matches *before* seeing the text

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »