Mark Pinto
Mark Pinto  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conclusion:aprreciated but not a must Feb 8, 2016

I guess then, it is important to make it clear to the client that the services rendered are translation services and not DTP. However, any kind of formatting expertise would be appreciated by the client.

Thanks guys for your responses.

Warm regards
Mark

Maggie WAKEFIELD
Maggie WAKEFIELD  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:05
French to English
+ ...
Change docx to doc in file manager Feb 8, 2016

KirstenL wrote:

I have Office 2010, and when I save a document, I can save it as a 1997-2003 .doc file.

You can also change a docx to a doc from the file manager without even having to open the file. Simply highlight the file, right click, choose 'Save as', select Word 97-2003, et voilà it is saved as a separate file. Delete the docx or keep both, as you wish.
At least, I assume this works on most PCs...

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:05
German to English
Yes but there are limits Feb 8, 2016

I often take texts sent to me in docx files, open them in Pages on my Mac, translate them, and export the Pages document back to a docx (or doc if necessary) to send to the customer. This works most of the time, but Pages will screw up some Word-generated legal contracts, so I found I have to do them in Word.

However, in my opinion docx to doc is just something you need to know.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
German to English
+ ...
Not necessary but gives you an edge Feb 8, 2016

TB CommuniCAT wrote:

It is not a must, but any extra service is always appreciated.

Most of my clients know that I only provide translation services. However, over the years, I've acquired some other skills that I sometimes add on to help clients. They usually very much appreciate it.

Agreed. I am pretty sure I am preferred for some of this type of work because my clients know that I have no problem recreating documents, including providing functional TOCs, bookmarks, cross-references, indices, page numbers and other formatting that tends to change when the text expands or shrinks as it gets translated. I also have experience working directly in InDesign, Illustrator and Framemaker. I don't think a translator MUST have these skills and experience, but I do think it gives you an edge with some clients.

By the way Mark, if I have a Word document with recreated text boxes or images/objects, I always group as much of the 'loose' objects and text boxes together as possible so that if they do jump, they jump together (makes it easier to reframe them later), and I always send the client both the Word file and a PDF so that if formatting goes funny and they need to use the document ASAP, they can always rely on the PDF.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is expertise in formatting a must for a translator

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »