Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:58
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Mar 2, 2005

Hi all,

How much can one expect to earn when working with an agency (English to French)? I understand that one cannot expect to ask as much as one would to a direct client, but how much lower one's rates should be?

Thank you.
EStelle

Direct link Reply with quote

remyrosf
Local time: 02:58
English to French
EUR 0.08-0.10 Mar 2, 2005

Estelle Demontrond-Box wrote:

Hi all,

How much can one expect to earn when working with an agency (English to French)? I understand that one cannot expect to ask as much as one would to a direct client, but how much lower one's rates should be?

Thank you.
EStelle

Hi Estelle,

Most translators I know charge between EUR 0.08-0.10 / source word (GBP 0.05-0.07) when working for agencies in our language pair. Some work for much less - as low as EUR 0.02.

Best regards,

Remy

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Depends where agency is based Mar 2, 2005

I have no idea about the actual rates in your language pair but I have noticed that agency rates depend on where they are based. If you work for a UK based agency, you can charge decent fees and will not be turned away. Scandinavia, Belgium and Netherlands do not scream if you want to be paid decently either (I have not worked for German ones yet). Italian, Spanish and Portuguese (I am not even mentioning Eastern European ones here) pay very low rates. So if you want to know if your rate seems high to the agency, just check the address.

Cheers,
Burrell

Jalapeno
Local time: 02:58
English to German
English - German Apr 9, 2005

Hey there,

same question, different language pair. I haven't worked for UK agencies yet, but will do so in the very near future. How much can I charge? I was thinking of asking between 0.10 and 0.13 € per source word.

Is that reasonable? (They loved my test translation)

I definitely want to work for this agency, since they have a very good blue board record. On the one hand, I don't want to ask too little, on the other hand, I don't want to price myself out of the market by asking too much.

Any hints appreciated...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates / agencies

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs