Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
3-letter currency code BEFORE or AFTER amount?
Thread poster: Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 06:25
German to English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2005

Hello all!
Not sure which forum I should be posting this to - mods, please feel free to move it!
I just proofread a text and changed the currency notation. The translator had actually written "Euro 36", which I changed to "36 EUR". He has since asked me about this. I had thought that writing the 3-letter abbreviation after the amount was correct in English (UK) but am willing to be corrected! (I have seen both in articles and am now confused!...
See more
Hello all!
Not sure which forum I should be posting this to - mods, please feel free to move it!
I just proofread a text and changed the currency notation. The translator had actually written "Euro 36", which I changed to "36 EUR". He has since asked me about this. I had thought that writing the 3-letter abbreviation after the amount was correct in English (UK) but am willing to be corrected! (I have seen both in articles and am now confused!)

I've tried looking up the correct notation on the Internet, but haven't got very far. Can anyone help?

Best,

Hilary.
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 13:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
before Mar 5, 2005

Here is a link with complete info:

http://publications.eu.int/code/en/en-370301.htm

Position of the ISO code or euro sign
In English, the ISO code or euro sign is placed before the figure, separated by a non-breaking space, e.g. EUR 30.

In all other languages the order is reversed, e.g. 30 EUR.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:25
Italian to English
+ ...
EUR 30 Mar 5, 2005

I've always written it like that, but you've made me think!

Thanks for the link, Cindy.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My method... Mar 5, 2005

I've never really gone and looked for the correct way to do it, but I think writing amounts in the following form is the most practical: 3.250,00 EUR or 3,250.00 EUR (it also works with the €-symbol).

That way, if the amount appears at the end of a sentence you don't end up with a mixture of numbers, dots and commas, e.g. EUR 3,250.43.

I think it just looks better if there is a word or symbol at the end of the sentence (it also happens to be the in the same order as w
... See more
I've never really gone and looked for the correct way to do it, but I think writing amounts in the following form is the most practical: 3.250,00 EUR or 3,250.00 EUR (it also works with the €-symbol).

That way, if the amount appears at the end of a sentence you don't end up with a mixture of numbers, dots and commas, e.g. EUR 3,250.43.

I think it just looks better if there is a word or symbol at the end of the sentence (it also happens to be the in the same order as when you speak it). But maybe it's just me...

[Edited at 2005-03-05 20:03]
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Currency code / currency symbol Mar 5, 2005

If the three-letter currency code (ISO 4217) is used, it ALWAYS goes in front of the value.

If currency symbols are used, some countries put the symbol in front, others behind the value.

The symbols $, ¤, £ always go in front.

These rules apply for invoicing, price lists, etc.
However, in normal copy, reading is easier if the currency code comes after the value (which corresponds with the way one speaks).

[Edited at 2005-03-05 20:11]

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
German to English
Before, always Mar 5, 2005

Hilary,

The three-digit ISO code always appears *before* the figure, and there is properly a space between the code and the first digit. The euro symbol also appears before the figure, but without a space.

It can get confusing because in German, it normally appears after the figure. But it's the same with e.g. percentage symbols, where there's no space in English after the figure, but there is in German.

You never, ever write "Euro 36" in English. Firstly,
... See more
Hilary,

The three-digit ISO code always appears *before* the figure, and there is properly a space between the code and the first digit. The euro symbol also appears before the figure, but without a space.

It can get confusing because in German, it normally appears after the figure. But it's the same with e.g. percentage symbols, where there's no space in English after the figure, but there is in German.

You never, ever write "Euro 36" in English. Firstly, you wouldn't write "dollar 36", would you? Secondly, of course, euro is lower-case. This is pure Germlish and is evidence of a seriously confused translator.

I'm afraid that Derek's "I think it looks nicer" approach may soothe his artistic pretensions, but it's actually a translation error, period. And we don't get paid for translation errors.

Robin
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Errors & Pretensions Mar 5, 2005

RobinB wrote:

I'm afraid that Derek's "I think it looks nicer" approach may soothe his artistic pretensions, but it's actually a translation error, period. And we don't get paid for translation errors.

I wasn't pretending to know for sure; I even said that I hadn't looked into it. But I suppose you are right about not getting paid for errors - I definitely made one: I guess I wasn't talking so much about "ISO" numbers, but rather the four-letter word "EURO." Put I'll have to remember this discussion in case I do run across such numbers.

[Edited at 2005-03-05 20:21]

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Definitely before Mar 5, 2005

As Cindy has pointed out, in the UK, the currency code goes before the amount. This is also true of symbols such as £, $, €. It's £30, GBP 30, EUR 30.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
Just for the record... Mar 5, 2005

In Canadian documents, the correct way is 30 CAN $. (30 $ CAN, in French). So the rule is not the same in every place.

[Edited at 2005-03-05 23:10]

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
International Currency Markets Mar 6, 2005

Anyone who has ever had real experience in the international currency markets knows that the three-letter symbol goes before the amount as a matter of standard.
Having said that, it is true that even banks, or any type of company, in their financial statements may express currency and amounts in any number of ways.
So, it is probably best to use the international standard, but then conform to the customer's wishes if some other form is preferred.

Best,
... See more
Anyone who has ever had real experience in the international currency markets knows that the three-letter symbol goes before the amount as a matter of standard.
Having said that, it is true that even banks, or any type of company, in their financial statements may express currency and amounts in any number of ways.
So, it is probably best to use the international standard, but then conform to the customer's wishes if some other form is preferred.

Best,

Steve
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Interesting Mar 6, 2005

So, it would appear that so far:
UK Eng (and possibly the international standard) would be EUR 30, GBP 30, USD 30 etc
Every other language writes 30 EUR, 30 GBP, 30 USD. Which, as Derek has pointed out, corresponds to how you'd say it. So I confess I have tended to leave it thus hitherto (and no-one has complained and I've had repeat work so....).

But, I'd love to do it properly, so is there a neat way to use search and replace in Word to switch 'em round, and only the
... See more
So, it would appear that so far:
UK Eng (and possibly the international standard) would be EUR 30, GBP 30, USD 30 etc
Every other language writes 30 EUR, 30 GBP, 30 USD. Which, as Derek has pointed out, corresponds to how you'd say it. So I confess I have tended to leave it thus hitherto (and no-one has complained and I've had repeat work so....).

But, I'd love to do it properly, so is there a neat way to use search and replace in Word to switch 'em round, and only them (not mangle the entire text!).

Indeed, what would be truly groovy would be a single search and replace command that would take 12 345,67 EUR and change it into EUR 12,345.67 since that seems to be what is needed Anyone got one?
Collapse

nyusya2000
nyusya2000
English to Russian
Word search and replace command Mar 7, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Indeed, what would be truly groovy would be a single search and replace command that would take 12 345,67 EUR and change it into EUR 12,345.67 since that seems to be what is needed Anyone got one?

I have a Russian version of Word, but I’ll try to guess what the English one might say. Here’s what you should do:
1. You press Ctrl+F (or Edit>Find)
2. Press Replace tab
3. Fill in the Search and Replace fields and press “Replace all” button.
That’s it!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Windows settings Mar 7, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Control panel > International settings > Currency settings

MMUlr
MMUlr  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Confirmed by ISO rules ... Mar 7, 2005

Hi Cindy,

without having taken a closer look at any rules, I have done this already: placing the currency code after the amount (for German texts) and before the amount in English. Nice to be confirmed now by these EU and ISO rules ...)
Thank you for the link!

Margret Ulrich

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3-letter currency code BEFORE or AFTER amount?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »